Chapter 5 | for eternity

***

"I missed all of you!"

That's precisely what I didn't want to hear and he knew it.
He knew ever since I stepped foot in this village.
Not once did he draw his gaze away from me.
This was a mistake, I should've never come back. I've completely made myself vulnerable to him.
He'll be able to toy with my emotions for as long as he wants now. I've created a forever lasting hell with no escape.

"Please, make yourselves at home." The rest of the Eternals seemed to pick up in the heavy eye contact I was trapped in when they noticed Druig's eyes fixed on only one person in the group.

***

"You've given me a lot of bad news  in one go, my lady."

Sersi had just finished pouring her heart out in front of the entire room about everything that occurred over the past week or so and all our heads, including mine, were starting to spin in circles.

The room was quiet for an instant, I played anxiously with my fingertips in my lap, hoping that he won't put me in the spotlight at any given moment.

"Will you help us?" Sersi asked even though most of us knew the answer to that question.

"I am glad that-" Druig was interrupted by Sersi's ringtone causing everyone to frown in confusion as I peeked over her shoulder to see who was calling.
A mysterious man called Dane Whitman I'd have to ask her about later.

"Hey what's your service?" Kingo questioned from across the room.
"I'm not getting any bars."
He added as I giggled at his poor attempt of whispering to not wake Gilgamesh that had fallen asleep a long time ago. Thena picked up on this and shook him awake.

"Do you all remember this forest?" Druig asked as he raised himself from his seat on the table in front of us and walked towards Thena and Gilgamesh.
"Beautiful, it was the last place we all lived together." He added as I suddenly felt guilty for not having any memories in this place. I felt like a black sheep amongst all the other white ones.
"I've protected these people for 20 generations now, from the outside world and from themselves."
Druig continued, now stopping in front of Kingo and Karun.
"Your kind, my friend, you will be responsible for your own extinction one day, don't you think?" Druig looked from Karun to Kingo as I closed my eyes in exasperation.

"I think we must learn from our mistakes and do better, sir."
Karun swallowed nervously as he gripped his camera in his lap.
"You must not give up hope-"
A loud shattering sound ensued but I didn't care to look up from the floor in front of me.

"Oh no you didn't!" Kingo exclaimed out of disbelief as he raised from his seat.
"Okay, new rule, no more possessing people's valets-"

"Oh, where is your sense of humour, Kingo?" Druig provoked.

"I'm sorry, sir."

"Don't apologize, it's not your fault." Kingo reassured Karun.
"You are not a god, you know that right?"

"How ironic. Kingo, the movie star." The two continued to challenge each other as the rest of us grew impatient.

"I've directed some things too."

"Oh yeah? Like what?"