Law 18: Do not build a fortress to protect yourself

The world is treacherous and people want to protect themselves, but isolation is dangerous. Better to be protected within the crowd.

Application -

Michael Jackson is perhaps the most iconic pop star in the United States, but he lived a solitary life. His last years were spent quite literally in a 2,700-acre fortress called Neverland Ranch. Despite his stardom, he didn't have many friends. When you read quotes from Michael, he often mentions that showbiz people were fake, and in relationships, he didn't think people liked him for him.

While Michael was growing up, his father was abusive and hit him and his brothers. This is likely the reason why he never trusted anyone as an adult. He didn't let people in, as a way to protect himself from being hurt. And as a result, he became isolated and out of touch with reality. His appearance and behaviors became increasingly stranger until his tragic death. It goes to show that this law applies to everybody, including the most famous and successful people.

Isolation is social regression -

During the lockdowns of 2020, I had gone weeks or even months at a time without much in-person interactions with other human beings. Each day seemed to bleed into the next – work, eat, clean, watch TV, go to sleep. My partner bought the groceries, which was great because I was the more nervous one about contracting Covid. At the same time, I started seeing a therapist for depression.

Then the vaccine came, and for the first time in almost a year, it felt as if things would return to normal. I remember going to a coffee shop for the first time after lockdown. I was there to meet with a friend and it was crowded.  I could not have foreseen being filled with anxiety just to be around people again. When I went to the register, it was like I forgot how to order and pay. This was an everyday interaction that now seemed so strange. I could see how prolonged isolation can affect how someone's mind works. The current period of isolation is a shared experience for many of us, and all of the effects are yet to be seen.