Law 46: Never Appear Too Perfect

Envy will cause people to work against you. Avoid inciting envy. Display small flaws or harmless mistakes to seem more approachable and less perfect.

Application –

It's a delicate balance to be able to express your faults without looking incompetent. After some research, I've come up with a list of flaws that should make you endearing rather than count negatively toward you.

Let me know if you agree. When you see these traits in other people, does it make you like them more or less? Do you have any others to add to this list? 

Clumsiness.

Small physical flaws. Such as dimples or freckles.

Naivety. People are disarmed by innocence.

Being a gossip. People say it's not good to gossip, but they like to be the receiver of gossip.

Oversharing. Vulnerability is likable.

Shyness.

A Humble Brunch–

Overheard at fancy brunch spot in LA:

"How's dating life?"

"Not great. Apps suck."

"I know a ton of really successful people. I should hook you up [so and so]."

"What is he like?"

"He's a surgeon and has a charity to help children in Haiti. Such a good human being." Takes out phone and shows profile photos.

"Hmm, I'm maybe looking for someone who's not 20 years older..."

"You should totally try dating someone successful."

Changes subject. "What else is new with you?"

"Ugh! I got laid off last month."

"Oh no, what happened?"

"It was a terrible situation. But...I got a new job that pays a lot more!"

"Oh, I had no idea. But so glad you found something better."

"Yeah, I get to run a huge team."

"That's so great"

"And I got six months severance so I'm making a ton of money from the layoff on top of my new job."

"How...nice..."

First woman waves hand dismissively, "Nah. My job doesn't really matter. My husband makes way more money. So my money is just for fun anyway."

Silence...

Second woman takes fork and stabs self in eye. (That part didn't really happen)