Law 27: Play on People's Need to Believe to Create a Cult-like Following

Here are the steps to create a cult-like following.

1. Keep it vague, keep it simple. Keep your message vague and profound, by creating new terms and using fancy titles.

2. Emphasize the visual and sensory over the intellectual. Appeal to all the senses to keep people captivated, and too distracted to question you.

3. Borrow the forms of organized religion to structure the group. Create a hierarchy to maintain power over the many.

4. Disguise your source of income. To show that good things happen to those who believe.

5. Set up an us-versus-them dynamic. Create exclusivity and make non-believers the enemy.

Application -

Belief leads to followers and those who can cultivate it in others hold the keys to power. Twin Flames is the belief that two souls were split from the same consciousness, similar to soul mates. A couple from Michigan amassed a huge following by convincing people they have divine powers to be able to help people find their twin flames.

Followers would pay thousands of dollars for the classes, coaching sessions, books, and other products. The hierarchy was set up like organized religion and those who could raise the most money for the couple had higher ranks in or organization.

People believed so much and were willing to do anything. This included stalking who they believed to be their twin flame. Even getting arrested for it or having a restraining order against them.

A Brother is Not a Brother

I looked at E and asked him a question, he pulled out a notebook and scribbled something to show me. What he wrote was "vow of silence". I knew this meant he couldn't speak for the week. Better than our other roommate who looks constantly hungover and is brandishing a black eye this week.

When it's 2 am and there's a ping on my cell phone, I let a second of reluctance pass before I jump out of bed. My clothes are on because I knew it was only a matter of time. We were driven to a house and led into a dark living room. Two dozen cloaked figures held candles all around us, as we took turns getting interrogated. and reciting principles.

We all accepted these various forms of torture. Most of us even competed with others for a spot. Greek life is really strange. During recruitment, they try to sell you. But once you pledge, they pick you apart. It's as if you can only be yourself outside the organization, but once you join their ranks, you'd better fall in line. I can't give any more details, because I swore an oath to not tell the secrets of my fraternity. Even now, they have a grip on me.