Start of something new

(^image from Pinterest^)

-Unedited-

Third Person point of view

The indescribable pain that Ivar felt in his legs weaken him considerably. There were days where he would spend majority of the morning in bed while, his mother took care of him. As well as, Helga, the family friend and healer. The youngest Ragnarsson would drink various herbal teas and have different topical medicines applied to his fragile skin. Today, was one of those days where the pain was insufferable. Ivar, laid in his bed with only a tunic and his undergarments. His legs were uncovered as Aslaug applied the medicinal salves to her youngest son’s legs which, helped to lessen the pain. As well as, making sure that he drank the herbal tea that Helga had produced to aid in ease his suffering. Aslaug looked at her son as beads of sweat rolled off his skin and painful winces escaping Ivar lips. She mentally hated the Gods that they cursed her son to suffer with deformed legs and extreme pain. That is why she made it her duty to care for her son. To take away as much pain as possible. Ivar was her son, and she was the one who birthed him.

Aslaug, carefully draped the fur blanket over Ivar’s legs, kissing his sweaty forehead, and closing her eyes. She whispered a prayer that Ivar would be healed. She pulled away to look at her son who was staring right back at her. The queen mother smiled at him while, caressing his cheek.
“I love you so much, Ivar, I pray that Eir would take away your pain”, she said tenderly.
Ivar through his tired eyes looked at the beauty of the woman sitting beside him. “I love you to mother”, he replied. His voice sounded weak from the pain.
“Where is Gilthoniel?”, he asked.
Aslaug, wiped away the sweat with a cold wet towel as she spoke. “The last time I saw her she was talking to Erik the carpenter and Aeldiet the black smith”, she gives him a reassuring smile, “It appears that she is planning something. As to what that is I am not sure”, she replied.

His mother once again kissed his forehead before, bidding him farewell. As she closed the door, Ivar laid in bed thinking of the many possibilities of his love was doing with a carpenter and a blacksmith. He knew of course that she would not cheat on him or his brothers. She would not risk accidently mating with someone who does not truly love her. So, what was she doing? The young Ragnarsson was lost within his own mind when the one person he was thinking about entered his room. The emotions of pain and confusion changed when the elven princess closed the door and crossed the room to the young prince. She sat gracefully next to him in bed which, quickly caught his attention. His tired eyes were barely open when his semi-conscience mind noticed her presence. Ivar did not even bother looking at her as another surge of pain shot up from his legs, right up his spine. A painful groan escaped his chapped lips. His face scrunching up from the searing pain. Gilthoniel automatically placed the cool wet towel on his forehead to sooth him. She carefully reached out her hand to his aching legs, whispering words of healing in Sindarin.

The young prince felt a sudden surge of warmth spread across his body. It was a wave of relief washing over him. His laboured breathing slowly decreasing into normalcy. The searing pain that he felt was cooled by the soft voice of his princess. His ocean eyes were wide open as he turned over in his bed to look at the glowing figure of the elf princess beside him. Her soft lips turned into a gentle smile as her mesmerising eyes were looking right back at him. The white-haired beauty returned the wet cloth from his forehead to the basin that was beside the bed.

“How did you do that?”, he said. Ivar’s voice sounded weak as he spoke which, was quickly soothed when Gilthoniel offered him a cup of water to him. He gratefully accepted as she helped him by lifting his head to prevent him from choking.
“A good friend of my father is a master of healing. He taught me how to heal through nature as well as, magic. A type that is only found in people like me”, Gilthoniel placed two of her fingers on the side of his neck. Feeling his pulse returning into its normal rhythm, “Your mother asked if I could aid in trying to ease your pain”, she answered.
He nodded. “He had taught you well. I feel much better now that you have healed me. Not only with my pain but with your presence as well”, he said. Ivar smiled as the slight touch of pink appeared on her cheeks.

The young Ragnarsson felt pride in his chest to see a man like him would stir such a reaction from a woman like her. Ivar in all his years never thought he could cause such emotion in anyone much less a woman. It boosted his ego to see her smile and blush.

“It seems that it worked too well. You are way more charming than, before”, she said. Gilthoniel leaned over his torso, supporting herself with one hand firmly on the bed. It was a struggle for him to do so but he managed to pull himself up in a sitting position. Their faces were only inches apart. His eyes searching hers.

“Mother told me that she saw you with carpenter and a blacksmith”, he said.
Ivar could see the joy in her eyes as soon as he mentioned what she has been doing for the past week. A secret project.

“I have been working on something for the past few weeks. The blacksmith and carpenter are helping in my endeavor”, she replied.
Ivar leaned forward so, that their noses were now touching. “What kind of endeavor?”, he asked.

Gilthoniel, tilted her head to the side with a look of cleverness written on her face. “One that would be revealed very soon. As for now you need to rest and recover your strength”, she said. She laid down beside him with her head laid on his shoulder and a hand on the left side of his chest. The scent of lavender overwhelmed his senses thus easing the phantom pains in his legs.

“Don’t worry Ivar once you see it, you will be overjoyed”, she said with happiness laced in her voice.
“I do not like surprises. But for you, My love, I will make an exception”, I replied. She looked up at me with that bright smile of hers. Gilthoniel placed a loving kiss to Ivar’s jaw before, snuggling closer to his body.

“Thank you, Ivar. You should rest for now let your body recover”, she whispered.
Ivar was looked at the princess that was lying beside him. It was almost heavenly to see his love sleep beside him. The sunlight that was seeping through the window curtains made her look like an ethereal being. Her white hair looked as if it was a glowing halo against the beige colored bed sheets. He reached over to push away a stray hair from her flawless face. ‘I am the luckiest man alive to have met you’, he thought.

*Hours later*

The youngest Ragnarsson and the elven princess was spending their time at the blacksmiths while, the other Sons of Ragnar were just coming home from training. And were just about to come home to have supper with their sweetheart and mother. Just as they entered the Great Hall the only person sitting at the dinner table was Aslaug, their mother, sitting at the head of the table.

“Where is Ivar and Gilthoniel?”, asked Hvitserk. His mouth was already being stuffed with bread and cheese.
“They are in town. Gilthoniel wanted to show Ivar something before, supper”, Aslaug smiled at the thought of her friend’s enthusiasm, “She was quite excited the last time I saw her”, she replied.
Ubbe and Sigurd sat down with curiosity in their eyes. However, Sigurd felt slightly jealous that his younger brother was with his sweet love. ‘What were they doing?’ he thought.
“Excited? About what mother?”, asked Ubbe.
Aslaug simply shrugged her shoulders a she took another sip of her honeyed mead. “You’ll see”, she said. A sly smile appearing on her face. She knew exactly what her immortal friend was doing. In fact, she had taken it upon herself to plan it with her weeks before this day. And was looking forward to gifting to her youngest son.

It wasn’t long until, the grand doors of the Great Hall open revealing the most shocking sight. Shocking only the three brothers who seemed to be completely dumbfounded. Their brother Ivar whom they've only seen hours before, was standing upright. His two legs were supported with iron braces. And in both hands were specially made crutches that only reached his mid-forearm. Ivar, for the first time in years was filled with pride. Thanks to his princess he was now able to see the with his brothers as well, as anyone who dared to mock him.

        Ivar smiled at his brothers as made his way across the Great Hall. Audible thump could be heard as his crutches hit the floor. As for Gilthoniel she was walking behind him with the look of happiness on her immaculate face. Her blue eyes looking at Aslaug who was close to tears to see her youngest boy walking on his own two feet. It was within minutes the memory of Ivar dragging himself from one place to the other. And thanks to the elvish magic that was bestowed on him the pain in his legs as barely felt.

          Gilthoniel, gracefully took her seat in between Ubbe and Hvitserk whose faces were too stunned to speak. Even Sigurd, Ivar’s tormentors, was speechless as well as peeved that he no longer had the right to bully his younger brother. Ivar took his seat at the head the table with a smile still, plastered on his face.

                          “Let’s eat shall we”, he said, raising his horn full of mead.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N -

Hello everyone!

I want to apologize for not updating this story as often as I would like to. As you may or may not know last year I was recovering from Covid 19. I am still, dealing some lingering symptoms/effect from covid. However, that has stopped me from writing. This chapter was was a bit of a process for me to write. But i found the strength and energy to finish this chapter off due to an awesome person who left a beautiful comment for me to read. Hopefully, I'll be able to continue write and update this story on a somewhat regular basis.

Thank you all for your patience!
Please vote and leave a comment in the box/icon below!❤