1 • Admiring From A Distance

Hero

It's day 26. I see her across the lawn - other students pass her by as she sits on the wooden bench with a book in her hand. She's reading something called 'AFTER', hasn't set the book down in the last 20 minutes and I'm sure I've seen her flip the pages at least 10 times. She's a fast reader.

I've been keeping a far enough, but close enough eye on her since I set my eyes on her in class from day 1.

Her beautiful medium length dark blonde hair kisses her shoulders on one side, whilst the other is unsecured behind her ear.

She's wearing a blue denim dress with a white ribbed shirt underneath. Flat shoes to compliment.

She hasn't noticed me, but I've noticed her.

She hasn't spoken a word to many of the other students, keeps her nose in the books she brings and reads during free time, break, lunch & whenever she must've finished work in class. She was quite the student from what I saw.

Whenever a question was asked in class, she was either the first to answer, or the first to argue with another student on the question asked.

She found the Pride & Prejudice - well let's say, remarkable the opposite as I did. Made me look at her differently.

It was only a moment later when I refocused on where I was looking to find Josephine as I learned from the teacher in class had moved. I decided to move as well, there was another class I didn't want to attend in a few minute and I didn't want to be around for any teachers or professors to catch me mid-escape and make me go into the school building.

It was only when I was in mid-escape I collided with another student, my initial reaction was the grab the body in front of me to avoid the ground being hugged.

When I looked at the student to tell them where to go, it's then, I saw her eyes, shocked but also caught off guard.

"Sorry, I didn't see you. You came out of nowhere" I smile at her slightly.

"It's okay Josephine" her eyebrows furrowed together in confused.

"Sorry, I'm in your English major class, I sit a few rows behind you diagonally. So I've heard the professor call you out in class" I watch Josephine smile back at m, clutching the book in her hands closer to her chest.

"Ah! You're the silent one in class?" Part of me wanting to accuse other students of making assumptions on me, but it's not this beautiful girls fault she's heard those things as I am silent in class. I hate being there to begin with.

"I'm Hardin, it's lovely to meet you. And you're book, it looks fascinating" She looks down at the book and shows me the cover.

"Looks good, maybe I'll borrow a copy from the library" I cross my arms across my chest.

"You'll have a little bit of trouble with that since this was the only copy, so maybeeeee..." She looks at me with a playful smirk plastered on her face.

"When I'm done, I'll find you, we can go to the library together and when I've checked it, you can check it back out! And once you've read it, we can find each other again- compare thoughts?" Raising both my eyebrows from her suggestion, I am pleased.

"Sure, I look forward to hearing from you" She re-grabs the book to her chest and nods towards me.

"Bye Hardin"

"Bye Josephine-"

"Please just call me Jo, I hate my full name" I nod.

"Sure, bye Jo" we wave each other off and I disappear from campus for the rest of the day.