3 • Misunderstood Affection

Hardin

Sitting on the couch texting Steph in regards to my surprise for Tessa, she's confirming she's got everything sorted and sends kisses and kisses face. I smirk but laugh off her playfulness.

"What the fuck Hardin...how could you? With my best friend!" It's those words and sounding hurt that automatically make me lock my phone and bounce of the couch to find a teary eyed Tessa slowly backing away from me.

"It's not what you think!" My brain scrambles for an explanation, it's clear and simple but the hurt expression on Tessa's face throws me off so much it makes me dizzy immediately.

"Hardin! I saw what I saw. You're texting playfully with Steph, you said back in college you two were just friends. Those messages were very friendly!" I knew I should've just called her, although even then I think Tessa would've overheard. She has a knack for catching me in the worst times. It's really quite annoying to be honest.

"Listen to Tess, you need to listen to my side of this story before automatically assuming what you saw...and reading into it wrongly" I watch her eyes become anger and her arms cross against her chest, covering her cleavage that shows through the top of her purple laces dress.

"Are you wearing lingerie?" She doesn't say a word but hurtfully nods. I mentally band my head against any surface within reach.

"Hardin, you've got 5 seconds to tell me what this is— and if the story doesn't match up..." I'm gonna have to come clean...

"Okay, listen to me... I was texting Steph because she was getting something ready for me — FOR YOU!" She raises one eyebrow, almost like she's calling me out without reason and doesn't believe me.

"What's that then eh?" Sighing, I rubbing the crease of my nose in the middle of my eyes.

"A promise ring..." I say carefully without looking at Tessa, worried her reaction will be the wrong one and it won't only be her that will be get hurt this time.

But all I hear is a short gasp escaping her beautiful lips.

"Oh my gosh... " I decide to take the heat and hurt and look at her, but her face only turns redder and more shocked than before.

"Are you trying to tell me I basically ruined something..." I think for a moment, this is the kinda thing most girls, like? But Tessa isn't most girls.

"I've been contacting Steph for a weeks now regarding this. She's been helping research and online shop for it... she's your best friend Tess & mines! So I went to her because I knew that she'd know you" she shakes her falling back against the wall. I take that second to jump over the couch to go to the floor with her.

"That explains so much why Steph was getting my ring size, she wanted to compare because she was planning to propose to her girl in a few weeks" that wasn't news to me, it's how Steph offered me help.

"Listen to me Tess, you've got nothing to worry about. I LOVE" I wrap both my hands under her ear & chin.

"YOU! You're my safe space, my love, MY LIFE! I can't and we have learned this, I can't live without you. It's impossible. I become a mess and I can't do anything right. I was planning to do something to show that because we've discussed it in the past that I don't believe in it, but recently I've been wanting a change..." Tear stained cheeks Tessa looks at me confused.

"A change? What do you mean?" Part of me wants to smile because of how much I love it.

"Well, let's say I have been thinking about something for a long time and I've become to adore it and want to say it every day... Tessa Scott" it's with those two names Tessa's eyes light up like a Christmas tree. A small smile forms on my life from the expression.

"Are you serious?" I nod, not able to say many words.

"Oh my god... Tessa Scott? I've never heard it out loud... I like it a lot" Biting my lip, hearing her saying it sorta turns me on.

"Let's just say, hearing it is... a major turn on for me... future Tessa Scott" she smiles through the tears  and embraces the kiss we share on the floor.