5 • Late Night Train

Hero

The train is dead, it's like half 12 at night and I'm heading back to LA. Train is cheaper, especially at night.

I've got my headphones on and listening to random crap on my iPod, shoving my hood up in attempt to darken my surroundings and go for a nap. This train ride was close to a few hours long and I did not have the energy to stay awake that long.

"Excuse me?" I don't bother opening my eyes but grab my train ticket from my skinny jeans pocket and show it to the person.

"I'm sorry... why you showing this to me?" My eyes are still closed, but those words literally confused me. Surely this person was a ticket clerk or whatever you want to fucking call them.

"What the fuck you-" I look at the person and I'm stopped on my tracks, a short petite girl with dark blonde hair sticking out of her hood, one earphone in and the other hanging.

I cough to try and save my actions from insulting her.

"I thought you were the ticket clerk" I see her rolling her eyes and taking the other earphone out. I guess I have company.

I put my headphones off my head and let them hang around my neck.

"Mind if I sit, we don't have to talk, just there's no one else on this train but us!" I look behind her and then behind me.

"Where's the-"

"The ticket clerk is probably going to come back, he already passed you but you must've been asleep or something so he left you be— for now anyway" I nod, pulling my hood now, revealing my entire face to the girl.

"Take the seat if you want, I don't think anyone else is gonna take it from you..." I playfully smirk at her, she smiles back.

"Unless you do, I'll fight you for it if it comes to it" she smirks back at me. A playful smack talker.

The only thing dividing us now is the tables, we're now sitting across from each other. I'm looking out the window but side glancing at her, I think she knows as she does the same. Only she's not smirking but an eyebrow is raised.

"You alright there dude?" I have to re-adjust myself in the seat. Why did the way she say that... sorta turn me on.

"I'm good, just getting uncomfortable in this seat from sitting so long" She nods, unconvinced.

"Okay...sure"

"What? You don't believe me?" She coughs to advert the attention for a moment away from her.

"You're a stranger, I don't know you-"

"Names Hero, see? Now I'm not a stranger" she smiles, her eyes glisten a little bit.

"Nice to meet you this late at night. I'm Josephine but I hate it. So just Jo" I nod.

"Nice to meet you too"

"Where is your going?" I raise an eyebrow in confusion, but I guess with the fact it's only us two, she's creating conversation for either less awkwardness or just to avoid us both being bored.

"LA, you?" She simple nods in response.

"Same here, guess I'll see you around!" I nod back at her in response.

"Maybe you will Jo!" I smirk at her for a second before looking out the window.

We both just sit and enjoy each other's presence, and wait for us to arrive at LA.