2 • 3am protection

Here

It's been quiet all night. No one has requested the taxi company app that they need a ride. My boss texted me that if no one requests in a few minutes, I can take the rest of the night off. I was really excited to get back to my bed.

Sighing, I turn the radio dial to find a decent to listen to.

It's when 'Million On My Soul' plays on the radio when my cars back passenger door opens at a rapid speed and shuts abruptly.

"Excuse me. Please drive" a youngish woman, blonde hair in a red sequined dress that's ripped on one side quickly closes straps herself in.

"You okay miss?" She rubs both her hands on her make-up smeared face.

"Please. Drive! I'll pay whatever it costs. Drive" I don't ask any more questions as I stomp my foot onto the gas.

"Miss! Can you tell me why I'm breaking the driving laws for you right now at 3 in the morning"

"I was being chased, I came out of this club after my best friend stabbed me in the back by kissing this guy I had been hitting on all night, so in the angry state I'm in - I banged into this drunk ass asshole and he attempted to get his way with me, dragging me into an alleyway. He ripped my dress to try... but luckily I kicked him right in the nuts and ran for the hills, that's when I saw your taxi sir" I continued to drive, listening to her words.

"Well, you're safe now miss! Is there anywhere, in particular, you want me to take you?" She shakes her head, I see in the rearview mirror that's red from crying or from rage?

"Well... you're literally my last ride— have you got a place to go home to?" She snaps her face in my direction.

"No no, please! I can't go home — my parents will kill me if they see me coming in at this time of night with me looking like this" gesturing to her ripped dress and smeared make-up.

"Well even though I'm only a taxi driver. I don't feel comfortable with leaving you at a hotel for the night..." I could see her eyes pleading in the mirror.

"There's one option — but I'm not sure it's appropriate-"

"Tell me please, I'll take anything right now!" Sighing, sorta already knowing the answer. I take a right turn and head for my apartment.

"I can take you back to mines for tonight and I'll drive you home tomorrow in spare clothes I have...?" I'm careful with my choice of words.

"Honestly, right now I think your apartment would be a safer place for me than my parents" I send her a gentle smile through the mirror- she returns the smile.

"Okay, let's get you into a change of clothes...you can shower when you get in or when you wake up if you'd prefer. I'll take the couch" She nods, seemingly calmer than she was 5 minutes ago.

"Since you're about to be sleeping in my apartment. I seen it only fitting that you know my name — it's Hero" I watch the girl look at me confused.

"Really? You're name's Hero?" I nod, already prepared for the hit of laughter coming my way.

"That's very fitting considering you've just saved me from being quite possibly r***d or worse killed. You are my Hero then!" Somehow, those words made my cheeks burn.

"Yeah, I guess I am for tonight! What about your miss?" She facepalms her face.

"Sorry. Names Josephine but please call me Jo" I nod, accepting her request.

"Okay, Jo...we're not far" She sighs wiping her eyes from the tears and makeup. I reach to my left and grab the tissue box.

"Here, I keep a box handy in case..." I turn my arm 180 to reach Jo, she takes a tissue from the box and I throw the box back down to change gear on the stick.

"Thank you, Hero..." I nod, signalling one more time, even though there's literally no one around, but there is always the one hidden camera somewhere.

"Not a problem. And we are here" I put my car into park and take the keys out of the ignition. 

I listen to the back buckle being undone, followed by the back door being open. I step out of the car myself and wait for Jo to shut her door before I lock the full car.

"Come with me" She nods and follows behind me. Walking to the front door of the building, I open the door and gesture to Jo to go through first. She does so.

Once I've gotten the door and let Jo into my apartment.

"Do you want to go for a shower now or when you wake up?" She looks at me with concern plastered across her face.

"If you are too tired, I can set aside clothes for you for when you do go. I don't mind, I'll grab a blanket" She nods going into the living room for a moment, I get a blanket from the closet to use for myself.

I walk in to find Jo fallen asleep on the couch... I don't want to do something I shouldn't, so I place the blanket on top of her instead.

"Night Jo" I walk gathering an outfit for Jo for the next morning and getting myself into bed as it's nearly 4 am in the morning.