20. His Journey

"Yuna meet Ms. Lee owner of this place, Moonchild. Ms. Lee meet Yuna, my girlfriend" he smiled introducing her to one of the most important persons in his life.

"I'm her permanent customer, always making it a point to drop by as and when I get time. Earlier you could find me here almost everyday, in my trainee days. That time was kind off hard to endure, the trainees who were already selected before I came there used to look down upon me as they thought I got some favours from higher ups at the company. I was chosen the last there and I showed up a month later after my selection, and they waited for me to join them. All my contacts were lost back then as I lost my phone. I used to stay in a small room which I shared with a hyung back then and Namjoon hyung came there to inform me about my selection, but I wasn't at home, but they never gave up on me and found me later, encouraging me to join them. Somehow all were envious of me being there, maybe due to my dancing abilities not being that impressive initially and my voice wasn't any better, making me a lost cause in their eyes. I had auditioned for many companies but no one selected me, I got rejected 8 times before BigHit selected me. I thought of moving back to my hometown if I got rejected this last time and pursue something else, but fate had different plans for me.

When I was a trainee at BigHit, as I opened my eyes every morning, the first thought to cross my mind was that a person would come by knocking on my door, telling me to leave as they don't need me anymore, kicking me out of the company. I was disappointed in myself and tried to do everything to change my appearance. I wasn't a good looking guy on whom girls would swoon over or have crush on, so I cut down on my diet and there were days when I just drank water, going to sleep on empty stomach. I did rigorous work outs daily, thinking it would make me look better, more presentable. But one day I got tired of everything, my motivation had died down and the will to continue my dream which I looked upon my whole life had vanished. I wanted to quit everything and just run away, as far as I could. But where would I go, if I left this place I would have to go back to my hometown, which would have been worse, as I told everyone there I would return only after I have achieved my dreams. So I just stormed out of the practice leaving everyone clueless, roaming the streets aimlessly, my growling tummy wasn't helping either.

That day too I skipped my meals, I used to miss my grandma's food. I was all alone in Seoul, my grandma had passed away few months before I arrived in this city. After she left, I was all alone, she was the only family left of me as my parents died when I was just 10. She was my everything. I still remember how she always prepared food for me as I returned from school. Back then I thought it was something anyone's grandmother would do. But I realised it later that it wasn't something she did as her duty, it was her way of showing love and affection towards me. When I realised it, she was gone, too far from my reach. I still miss her, how she used to pat my head as I rested it on her lap, she was my home. Whenever I got tired of my school and the classmates who troubled me, reaching home I used to run to her, calling her out loud, and she appeared at once, without caring about her work which she left halfway. She used to sit down and gesture me to lay my head on her lap, patting my head slowly she used to sing a beautiful melody, the tune of which is still stuck in my head though I forgot the lyrics. I hope I'm making you proud grandma..." he sighed with teary eyes as he continued.

"As I walked around my steps came to a halt and in front of me was this place, Moonchild. That place gave me homely vibes and I couldn't stop my feet from taking me in. So I went in and took a seat, looking around I observed that there weren't any waiters, just one lady who took everyone's orders, serving them food. Also there weren't many customers in there. She came near my table, a smile fixated on her lips, I got all nervous, not knowing why I came in and sat there, whereas moments back the only thing running in my mind was to skip meals. She looked into my eyes and it was as if she could read my mind, she smiled and before leaving she told me to wait for a while, I just nodded looking down. After 15mins she brought me a bowl of Kimchi Jjigae with rice, my favorite. I didn't utter a word gobbling down everything in front of me. She smiled and left to attend other customers.