Chapter 3 - Armani

"He asked you out?" Malika asked.

I left Jalen's house that night and went back home since the altercation with Ashley fucked up the rest of my day. I just decided to chill in my living room, with Malika, and watch Real Housewives of Atlanta.

"No, we're just going to have dinner as friends," I replied stuffing my face with a mini Snicker bars.

Malika hit me with a pillow and smacked some of the chocolate out of my mouth.

"What the hell was that for?"

"Armani you're so clueless sometimes! I know you've never had a boyfriend and all but that is how someone ask another person out!"

"Wait, what?" I stood up and started pacing the room, "But he said just as friends, he can't have asked me out on a date?" I stopped pacing and looked at Malika, "Maybe it's a friend-date?" Malika scoffed, "I don't think that's a thing," I continued pacing. "Ugh, how is he gonna take a hint, I mean, if I even were to date him, not that I want to, I mean he's cute and all, and he has I nice smile, and his voice is just perfect," I dramatically fell onto the couch, "did I forget to mention he is so damn fine? He's just-"

"Aw, you got a little crush," Malika said in a sing-song voice.

"Hell no, where the fuck did you get that idea from?" I looked at her, then I realized what I had just said. "Did I say all those things out loud?"

"Yes you did Armani,"

:

Two Weeks Later

"Well class, as you know, we have a basketball game against Duke University tomorrow night," Mr. Ralston, my debate teacher, sat on his desk at the front of the classroom,"I want someone to tell me why, they think our school has a chance at beating them,"

I looked at my notebook and started doodling things.

Oh, and my friend-date with Jalen went pretty well, besides the fact that I had to pretend that I was not feeling well and had to leave because I felt uncomfortable because everyone kept calling me his girlfriend or said we'd make a beautiful couple, someone even asked us how long we've been married for!

I think Jalen realized that I wasn't sick and but he was cool with it. But we haven't talked much lately.

"How about you Armani? Do you think Duke will beat us?" Mr. Ralston snapped me back to reality and I quickly shut my notebook, he was standing right in front of me. I just registered for this class yesterday. The counselor said it will help with my shyness.

I stared down at my notebook, "Um, I...I don't really know," I felt Mr. Ralston burning a hole through me.

"Well, Ms. Okafor, maybe if you had been paying attention you would've known," I didn't say anything. I felt everyone staring at me. "Or were you taking notes and just hadn't figured what you were going to say?"

He grabbed my notebook and started looking through it, "Hey!" I stood up, I tried grabbing it but he held it back.

Jalen stood up, "Hey, why the hell would you just take her notebook like that? That's personal property!"

"I'm taking a look at her notes," Mr. Ralston smiled, "Ah, I think I found what I was looking for," I started getting nervous, there are very personal things in there. He walked up to the front of the classroom. He put my notebook on the projector and I immediately sunk down in my chair.

I heard some people giggling, "Oh, it seems like Armani has a little crush on Jalen!"

"Aw, how adorable, too bad she's not good enough for him!" I heard someone laugh.