The truth about Mum.

They didn't know it but I could see their souls through their eyes.

As I glanced at each of my classmates while I walked to my desk, I caught glimpses of their secrets and thoughts-- 'One more hour and we're off for Christmas' was what I got from most of those who looked up at me in greeting.

Smiling, I sat down, unzipped my bag and took my books out. Luckily I could only read their thoughts when our eyes met. Sitting at the back of the class was the only way for me to concentrate on lessons.

I watched the teacher entering the class seconds later, scribbling away on the board immediately. As if she really believed that anyone would listen to her today, the last day before the holidays. It had been snowing the whole morning and the thoughts I read in the several pairs of eyes that failed to stay focused on the teacher and strolled around the class instead, before settling on the snow-choked window, were about a snowball fight.

For a long time I had thought that my ability was quite normal, that everyone could do what I did. When I understood it wasn't, I did not say anything to anyone, scared that they would not believe me, that they would find me strange. But I often wondered if Mum had the same gift-- her way of guessing my moods and hinting at my secrets was... annoying.

I should try to talk to her when she comes back, I mused, sighing, attracting the teacher's attention.

"Tajana, do I bore you?" she asked, making everyone turn around and look at me, giggling.

I covered my face with my hands-- I hated when this happened. The sudden onrush of different thoughts was overwhelming.

Taking my behaviour for embarrassment, some of them laughed.

"Silence please." The teacher admonished. "Try to pay attention, Tajana. All of this will appear in the test, after the holidays. I expect all of you to be well prepared, you'll have more than enough time to study."

The teacher's voice faded into the background as she started writing again, and my thoughts strolled back to Mum. She was a scientist, often out of town on research trips. She and Dad divorced years ago. When I was younger, I used to spend the weeks when Mum was not around with him. That was before Dad remarried and had other children. Whenever I stayed over lately I felt... not exactly unwelcome, just extra. I did not fit with his new family, so this time I put my foot down-- I would spend Christmas with my friends, rather than with Dad and my step family.

"So what time shall we come?" Linda, my best friend, sat on my desk even before the bell stopped ringing.

"We?" I asked, collecting my things, then pushing the chair back and standing up.

"You did not expect me to come alone, knowing your Dylan is coming, too? I'm bringing Josh." she said as we left the class and walked towards the lockers.

A quick glance in her chocolate-brown eyes showed me again how much she cared about Josh.

"Of course you are." I smiled at her. "You can come whenever you want."

"Great. I'll leave you two alone now." Linda said, trying to suppress a laughter, even as an arm wrapped itself around my waist from behind, making me jump.

"Dylan!" I called in pretend anger, but smiled when a look in his grey eyes showed me just how much he had missed me.

We paused shortly by the lockers to grab our jackets, then rushed outside into the snowfall and ran across the parking lot to his car.

"Don't you need to go home first?" I asked him when he took the left turn on the traffic lights.

"I packed this morning, when I saw all that snow. The less we drive around the better. And you wouldn't want to meet my parents today-- they are still not convinced about this idea. I had to promise them..."