Beginning

The road. It was so long and desolate, making her despair.

Helen had been walking along the dusty road for days, alone, dirty, hungry and tired, but it still went on. It seemed to have no beginning and no end.
The endless road unfurled in front of her slowly, revealing another long stretch every time she reached a bend that looked like a possible end. But it just went on and on, across a desert.

Slowly, the desert morphed into green, undulating planes. Those grew into low, tree covered hills and then high, rocky mountains.

Suddenly, the infinite road seemed to disappear, swallowed by a dark tunnel and Helen felt relieved.

Finally, just as she was beginning to lose her hope.

Helen was close now, she could feel it when she looked into the bright light at the end of the tunnel. She knew that the light meant the end. This road finished here.

But behind that white light, she sensed her new beginning. She couldn't wait to see what laid behind the tunnel. Gathering her last strength she entered the cold darkness, and followed the light.

Liam was woken up by a loud beeping of the machines around her hospital bed. Helen had spent months lying in that bed, lifeless, waiting for the end. There had never been a chance of recovery, they had warned him. Still, the sudden ending shocked him.

Two nurses entered the room hastily, looking embarrassed when they saw him crying silently, still holding Helen's cooling hand.

She was already gone; she reached the place of her new beginning.

Liam hoped that when his time arrived, Helen, his love, would be waiting for him at the other end of the tunnel.