I have a dream

I have a dream, a song to sing, to help me cope, with anything...

That song was on my mind since I opened my eyes this morning. No, it was there since Kyla made me watch that movie last night.

My best friend and her love of silly, naive, romantic musicals...

I took my phone from under the counter after I served another customer, hopefully one of the last ones today.

It has been another endless afternoon, I mused as I typed a message to Kyla, 'This was the last time I let you choose a movie.'

I put the phone back in its place quickly as I heard the sound of approaching footfalls.

"I'm leaving, Léa. You know what to do, just switch everything off and lock up..."

"Of course, Mrs. Rossi." I said politely, watching my boss walk towards the entrance. "Have a nice evening."

"You too, girl." She replied a moment before the glass door closed behind her and I was left on my own with a handful of customers scattered around the few round coffee tables filling the small Italian café.

Mrs. Rossi and her husband were the owners. They were strict bosses but I did not mind that. What I did mind was their choice of uniform for their waitresses-- the simple black skirt was too short and tight, and so was the white blouse. I couldn't see the moment I graduated, got a proper job and be done with this place.

Peeking at my phone one more time I smiled as I read Kyla's reply-- 'You're totally unromantic.'-- before I wiped the counter again, grabbed a tray and as another customer left, walked towards the vacated tables to collect the used cups and plates.

I have a dream, a fantasy, to help me through, reality. And my destination, makes it worth the while, pushin' through the darkness, still another mile...

Just that my destination is still far away, I mused, my thoughts in sync with the words of the song. Two years of studying lay in front of me, which meant thousands and thousands of cups to collect, wash and refill, hundreds of smiles to force at those who were gawking at my legs as I served them, and scores of annoying remarks to ignore...

"How about a coffee, when you finish here?" A guy who kept coming here daily for weeks but had never spoken to me before asked suddenly as I cleared a nearby table.

"Hmm, no thanks. My boyfriend will be waiting for me." I lied.

I hated lying but it was... necessary. There was always someone asking me out; I blamed it on that silly skirt making me look desperate for the attention of all our male customers. Kyla often teased me that this way I would just stay alone forever but I always thought that... when I met the right guy I would feel it... that I would cross that stream, without overthinking anything, when the time was right.

The man nodded silently, then left. There was just one table left now...

Walking towards the glass door, I looked outside into the night. It had started to rain, but I didn't mind, I liked rain. I watched the raindrops resembling long pieces of golden thread against the bright orange light of the streetlamps lining the pavement as they kept falling into the puddles filling the holes in the road.

I put the palm of my hand to the cold glass sprinkled with water, watching it mist over from my breath.

If you see a wonder, of a fairy tale, you can take the future, even if you...

"Good night," a middle-aged woman disturbed my reverie as she and her two friends left, pulling umbrellas from their handbags before they stepped into the downpour.

"Good night, and thank you." I smiled at her.

There, they were the last... I locked the door behind them, making my way back towards the tables.

"I believe in angels, something good in everything I see, I believe in angels..."

I sang my favourite part of the song out loud, dancing my way around the empty tables.

"I believe... in angels..."

"Do you really?" A voice reached me from the table hidden away in the most remote corner of the room.

"I... I'm sorry." I mumbled, blushing. "I was sure that I was alone..."

I would bet anything that you weren't there a moment ago, I thought, observing the young man whose bright blue eyes stared right back at me. I had never seen him before.

"That's a beautiful song," he said, the sound of his voice, so smooth and velvety, making my heart stumble. He was... gorgeous.

"We are closed, sir." I said politely, my voice shaking only slightly. There was something... strange about him.

I found myself approaching his table against my will, or a conscious thought of what I was doing.

"Well, as I walked in before you locked that door, could I have a cappuccino and... a slice of angel cake?" He asked, glancing towards the counter where our cakes were displayed, an enchanting smile brightening his features, making me smile back at him...

What's wrong with you?! I scolded myself, and yet I nodded, then walked to the counter to get his cappuccino.

I'll cross the stream, I have a dream.

Just that he's not a dream, he could be... dangerous, a... maniac or something, and you are locked here with him alone, silly girl... my alarm bells began to ring as I carried his order to his table...

...to his empty table. The stranger was gone, a single long, snow-white plume lay on the round wooden table.

I reached for it with a shaking hand. "I believe in angels..." I whispered, setting the tray down and collapsing onto a chair.

" I whispered, setting the tray down and collapsing onto a chair