I don't understand

Closing the fridge I wiped my forehead with the back of my hand.
The kitchen was really hot on this summer morning, but at least the food was already cooked and stored neatly in the fridge, all divided in suitable containers, and ready to be microwaved by my eighteen-years-old son.

Washing the dishes was the next thing on my list.

"Good morning, honey," I greeted Evan, when I heard him shuffling behind my back.

"Mum..." he said, getting a glass of milk from the fridge and sitting down at the table, waiting for me to serve him his breakfast.

I had to smile when I noticed what a child he still was. A grown man only on the outside.

I handed him a bowl of his favourite cereal, then started with the dishes.
My thoughts left the kitchen sink filled with warm soapy water, and took me towards the two twelve hours shifts, expecting me in the hospital this weekend.
Since Evan's father had left us, this was my reality. But I would do anything for my son, to save some money for his studies. My boy would be at the university the following year.

Evan's voice disturbed my train of thoughts, most likely he had been talking to me for a while.

"What was that?" I asked, startled. Has he just said... no, that was impossible. I must be wrong... "I did not hear you well, could you repeat that, please?"

"Well, it's about Anne. Remember? My girlfriend?" He started again, not looking at me, his spoon clinking loudly against the bowl of cereal in front of him.

So I did hear well... I had to switch off the water and sit down at the other end of the table. Still, he would not meet my eyes.

"I don't understand," I said, wiping my hands with a damp tea towel, "could you just say that again?"

"Mum, come on, she is pregnant. Three months. We're getting married. No big deal."

Was I supposed to laugh or cry? I wasn't sure yet.
My well organized life just collapsed on top of me like a house of cards. It had taken me so long to build it.

No big deal. Right.

I'll just have to start all over again, with a different deck.