1 - Search

I dug my fingernails into my thighs as I waited nervously for the professor to call upon the next person to present. I'm a freshman in college. Since it is my second semester, the work has grown pretty packed and it feels as if they care more about turning shit in than our actual knowledge. It honestly boggles my mind that some of my peers were able to handle the lengthy assignments.
For the most part, I'm quite happy I don't have any missing assignments but I'm annoyed at myself for one thing: I don't have a job or well, I used to. I got laid off once the company went bankrupt back in September. Recently, I've been trying to submit resumes to a variety of different places yet all of them seem to decline me. Often it feels like they're willing to hire anyone but me.

The professor finally called the next person to present after what seemed like ages. I swallowed thickly as I watched the quiet brunette beside me stand up. A deck of flashcards was squeezed in between her hands as she shakily made her way to the front of the class. A few peers muttered words of encouragement as she shyly turned to face the class. Her eyes looked as if they were trembling due to how they jumped back and forth from the wall of the classroom to a few peers sitting in the front row. In another hour or two, the class would reach its end.

A sigh of relief escaped my lips as I realized today was the last day of presentations. Following a crowd in front of me, I waved awkwardly to a group of old acquaintances yet they ignored me out of pettiness. I placed my hand away feeling rather stupid but I just told myself that someday they'll come around. I never did understand why some club members took it so personally when someone quit especially in my case. I had to quit a lot of programs since high school to have more time to improve on the things I like. Approaching the exit, I pulled my phone out to check if there were any new notifications but the screen remained empty. As usual, I thought.

The drive home was hectic with the excessive amount of cars but I was determined to seek more job applications as well as interviews. Sitting in my car once I parked it at the neighborhood curb, I pulled my phone out again to start swiping through the job recommendations that had popped up in my emails. I probably remained seated for about an hour or two when a particular banner caught my attention.
"Fazbear fright horror—what now?" I scoffed. It wasn't Halloween yet so why did they have a horror attraction? Not that I'm complaining but it seems a bit odd to have one during the winter season.
"This has gotta be a joke, right?" I quirked a brow as I continued to read through the job description. It didn't seem too bad but it looked like they were mainly hiring for night guards. I didn't think it would fit my schedule considering I had school yet as I swiped for availability information. It appeared they were offering a night shift on the weekends which was separate from the weekdays.
"That's weird as fuck." I mumbled, "But I think I might be able to balance a night shift if it's only on the weekends." It would be a strange schedule but at the very least it would allow me to go to school uninterrupted. As for the large amounts of homework, I'll just have to dedicate two hours to it after school.
"Is it worth it?" I asked myself but I neglected my questioning with the press of a button. As the application appeared, a disgusting shade of yellow occupied the screen of my phone followed by a tacky font displaying the job requirements. "That's just embarrassing." I snickered as I disregarded the text and scrolled my way down to the bottom of the page. My fingers danced along the phone's keyboard as I input my resume as well as some personal information.

"And now, we wait." I turned my phone off before I carelessly chucked it into my bag.

☺☻
A/N: Bitch I wrote this during my lunch and now I have to take a Trigonometry quiz. :(