2 - Interview

I removed my shoes and kicked them off to the side as I entered my apartment. My head was spinning from having to explain a math problem three times to a new student today. His name was Vincent or something along those lines. I didn't intend to get close to him but he would be helpful to make a connection with if I ever missed a day in class. Maybe he could even send me pictures of his work if I ever felt too lazy to do it myself.
Speaking of work, It's been about a week or two since I submitted my application. I've had to rely on money sent by my mother to pay off rent for the month. I was certain she was probably getting annoyed but I didn't blame her. I felt like such a beggar. I pulled my phone out to check if there were any responses to the previous applications I had submitted. In the mass amounts of emails that flooded my inbox, a familiar sinister yellow once again popped up. Pressing on the banner, a grin curved against my lips as I read through it a few times carefully. I had been accepted! I fist-bumped the air and proceeded to tap dance in excitement.
"I should call and schedule an interview." I reminded myself once I came to a halt.

That night I slept well knowing I had stumbled across a great opportunity. After calling the number in the email, I was informed that the manager wanted to speak with me as soon as possible. Something about them urgently accepting applications. (I suppose they must've been desperate if they accepted me.) The thought of the interview made me nervous even if it wasn't my first time attending one. I predicted what questions they would ask and pretended to answer them in my head as I drove to the location. Approaching a rather filthy building, I parked the car in the lot and hoped for the best as I exited. The abandoned building glowed golden in the light of the new day, its' bricks finding their way to join the dawn chorus. I was rather taken aback by the line of people who were already at the door eager to witness the horror attraction.
"Damn. I guess this must be the real deal." I mumbled while I locked my car on my way to the building's front doors which were occupied by two elders stamping the tickets of visitors. I patiently waited for them to finish the tickets of a group of boys before I asked about their manager.
"Here for an interview, aye?" An older man spoke as he eyed me tiredly. A black cap rested over his head as tufts of silver hair poked out along it, "He should be inside. Just enter and take a left. A black curtain with the older Freddy Fazbear logo will be in the way so just move that to the side. Then just keep walking down until you see a huge pizza logo on a brown door. Good luck." I nodded along with his words and turned toward the doors yet was stopped by the second employee who spoke up just as I was about to enter.
"Also be careful, lovely. There's decor on the floor so keep an eye out or you might trip. Happened to me on my first day." A ginger woman giggled beside him, recalling her embarrassing memory as she proceeded to stamp away at tickets. She seemed to be middle-aged but her makeup certainly made her appear younger. You didn't have to look at her long enough to know she was probably a good person, but who knows? Appearances could be deceiving.
Upon entering, a rancid sent struck me. It was strong enough to burn my nostrils but I argued quietly with myself to continue and that perhaps it was used to increase the fear of visitors. It is an old building after all.
The lights above me flickered and were the same color used in the banner of the job application I had previously filled out. Fitting but creepy, I thought. The walls were no different than the ones outside. Smeared in strange substances while decorated in creepy relics that once brought joy to the hearts of children were lined up with small captions yet they were unreadable. I was not sure if I was overthinking or if it was the environment but the interior felt foggy. Could it have been a smoke machine? I followed their instructions and heed their warnings. Pulling back the curtain while remaining cautious of the animatronic headpieces placed on the floor, my heart fell to the pit of my stomach immediately as a young man stood in the way.
"Ugh, Sorry." He grumbled a half-assed apology, pushing past me grumpily. His shoulder bumped against mine but he didn't even look back to apologize a second time. The cap over his head shielded his eyes and the dark atmosphere prevented me from properly catching a glimpse of his features but I could tell his hair was a dark shade due to how the lighting appeared over him.
"Dick," I whispered as I watched how he walked off carelessly into the shadowed area of the building. Ignoring the strange and rather sudden interaction, I proceeded to my route. A knock on the door was all it took for me to be face to face with a bald man. He politely requested for me to sit down as he clasped his hands together firmly. The office was built with fresh air and health as a priority. As such, air from the outside arrived in floor vents and left through the ceiling directly above. A complete contrast from the clouded attraction that awaited outside.

The manager wore a white button-up with the sleeves rolled up followed by black trousers and shiny boots that sounded like horse hooves clacking the ground whenever he walked. His cheeks were cherry red and complimented his hazel eyes that were wide with charisma. Overall, he was an upgrade from my previous manager, Sheila.
"(Y/N) (L/N)? Right? How ya doin'?" He stated as his large hand shook mine a little too excitedly. A bright smile was plastered across his face while his eyes lit up at the sight of me.
"I'm good, sir. How are you-" I froze as he cut me off with a dramatic, exasperated sigh and the roll of his eyes. I would be lying if I said I wasn't offended. It was plain rude. Not to mention, how strange his immediate switch up was.
"Oh god no! Please drop the formalities already and just call me Jim. I'm here to be friends instead of just the typical authoritative figure.." He stated while leaning back in his leather chair. It creaked horribly holding his weight and my intrusive thoughts pondered on how he didn't manage to break it.
"Oh, well, good J-" I was once again cut off.
"So I was looking at your resume and it appears you previously worked in retail, how was that for you? Good? Okay. Anyways, let's cut to the chase. I need more employees, you want a job. I say pretty much you're hired! So, your first night starts this week (bad pronunciation of L/N)"
"It's...It's actually (L/N).." I corrected him awkwardly but flinched as he walked behind my seat to wrap his meaty arm around my shoulder.
At that moment, I wanted to leave. I was uncomfortable by how touchy he was. This was informal! No manager should ever act this way but I knew I had to swallow my pride because the thought of having my mother send me more money to cover my rent made me feel guilty. I needed to get this job for myself and my mother's sake.
"Same thing!" He chuckled and removed his arm from my shoulders to head over to the corner of the room. "What size ya wear? Small? Large?" He suddenly asked as he scavenged through cardboard boxes piled up behind his desk. He scratched the top of his head as I answered his question. This was moving a little too fast for me but it's better than rejection.
As he handed me the uniform wrapped in plastic, I watched him lazily slump down in his seat again.
"Well (L/N), on your first night I will have one of the employees there to train you. His name is Michael. He just left my office not too long ago but he's in charge of the night shift on weekdays. He's a genius with this new tech stuff so I'm sure he'll train you well. On that note, please fill out this paperwork as well as these contracts. I have to leave right now but if you can leave it on my desk before you go, I'd appreciate that. Goodbye!" He chuckled once more as he exited his office leaving me behind. I sat there, processing the strange encounter. Should I stay or should I go? Is this job worth it if I'm going to be treated like this? My mother's face popped in my head and I shook my head in disappointment as I found myself reaching for the pen.

☺☻
A/N: I haven't written a fanfic in so long. I'm like all nervous and shiii but the trig quiz went well. I hope you guys like my writing!