9 - Nephew

The following chapter
contains mature content.

Heading into my next shift wouldn't have been so hard if my brother didn't decide to leave his son with me last minute. I pitied him honestly, my older brother had it rough after his girlfriend left him. He took responsibility for their child while she ran off to marry someone she claimed was rich enough to fulfill her happiness. I never liked that lady anyway. The few times she came over she'd look through my wardrobe and insult my furniture. Shit, if she thought it looked so ugly she may as well buy me the newest collection.

I was honestly thankful (N/N) took after my brother more than his mother. They may not look entirely alike but they had the same personality which made it easier for me to understand him.
I watched the (H/C) haired child race around my apartment carrying a toy plane. He imitated turbulence noises as he waved it through the air. Normally I'd find it endearing but I was worried about having him stay home alone. Not that my neighborhood was dangerous. If anything, there was a lower crime rate here compared to other places which was unexpected since I lived close to the border of the next town.

"(N/N)," I called to the young boy, watching as he froze in his tracks with his plane still wavering in the air.
"Yeah?" He responded, his innocent round (E/C) eyes gawking over to where I stood.
"You hungry? I need to leave in a few for work but I want to make sure you'll be okay." I smiled as I rummaged through the cabinets for any boxes of Mac and cheese.
"You're leaving me?" He frowned, lower lip sticking out into a pout, "Papa always leaves me. Why can't you stay with me? I don't like the dark either."
"Sorry kiddo, I have work to go to and if I don't go then I won't be able to pay rent. You know how it is." I shrugged.
"Papa says that too! Please stay with me auntie (Y/N). Please! Please!" He rushed over to me, pulling on the fabric of my sleeve in desperation.
"No, (N/N). You don't understand yet because you're just a kid but someday you'll have to go to work." I ignored his tugging as I focused on reading over the instructions written on the side of the box. He released his group slowly. His gaze dropping to his feet as he went quiet.
"...and..and leave my kid behind?" He suddenly asked.

Ouch. I froze as I turned to look at him. His eyes now watering as he looked up at me sadly. Immediately I set the box down on the counter. Ensuring the stove had been turned off, I dismissed cooking as I focused my attention on him. Scooping him up, I carried him in my arms as I made my way to the couch.
"Look," I began, "I know your father is busy. Sometimes he can be too busy and doesn't have the time to spend with you but he does love you very much. Everything he does is to help you and I know you deserve more too. Right now though, he's busier because things are tough for him and your mom." I set my hand over his head, my fingers running through his tangled locks of (H/C) hair. "I don't like mama." He suddenly spat. His sadness grew into anger. Same kid, I thought but I kept it to myself as I released my hold on him.
"Don't worry." I told him, "When I come back, we can watch a movie together or I'll take you out to get ice cream. Just think about what you want but you remember the rules right? Don't open the door for anyone, don't leave the stove on, and go to bed after I leave. You can leave the lights on if you get scared." I stood up to retrieve my uniform.

Exiting the bathroom, I was taken aback by the sudden darkness but turned to the only room with a light on.
"Goodnight (N/N)!" I shouted from the bottom of the staircase but I received no response. Figuring he had been asleep, I approached my car and prepared for the second possible interaction with Springtrap.

Parking the car, I followed my usual routine of taking my time opening up the doors and quietly heading into the office space. My chest felt heavy as I passed the room it or rather he was placed in. Thankfully, Springtrap shouldn't be too active just yet but I should keep better track of the monitors.
Clicking through a few security cameras, I was relieved to see him still in the same spot he was usually in during daylight hours. Its funny how harmless he looks there compared to how he acts when he confronts you. I wish he'd stay put like that forever but alas, one can only wish. I set down the tablet after a moment, hoping to conserve power for the rest of the night. For now, I felt at peace. I knew Springtrap could kill me but somehow being able to recognize that satisfies me. At least it leaves me with a hint of the kind of intention he could have in store for me. I immediately took ahold of the tablet at the sudden thumping of footsteps. Assuming it was Springtrap, I was prepared to play the sounds as Michael informed me to. Yet the footage that played before me on the camera made my stomach twist and my face grow pale.