4 - Insight

The cafe is my refuge, this place I can make believe that I am in a caring society. At the tables are my imaginary friends in a transient community. We are born to need social bonds. We are born to need a sense of others, even if we are alone. It is terrible for the higher brain to know that we are solitary. So in this cafe, among the noises of people, their scent, their occasional glances, and the chatter of the baristas, I give my primitive brain a little of what it craves, just enough to see me through. It's early and the machines are yet to warm, so I ponder this chance to rest a moment longer, to drink in the aroma of this place. The barista has tired eyes, yet there is that glimmer, a giveaway of her good heart. She's one of those surviving sparks, one of the ones who held on to who they are.
I ask for my danish to be warmed, apologizing amid my tired smile, "Sorry, I'm just feeling like being a bit of a fusspot today." I see her spark glow a little brighter, her face more relaxed, a smidge more joy in her eyes, "That's alright, dear, you be a fusspot." I laugh unexpectedly, and I know that I'm feeling a tiny bit better too, "Thanks for indulging my fuss-pot-ism. I needed that." As she hands me my receipt, I tip her a ten and head off to the side to patiently wait for my pastry and coffee.

Retrieving the goods after waiting twenty minutes, I took a seat in a booth not too far from the exit. My second night took place last week and had been my first time alone. I was nervous but it went by pretty fast. I ended up running into Jim and Michael on my way out. Jim seemed pretty stressed at the time but Michael looked relieved. As if a great weight had been lifted off his shoulders. I exchanged numbers with Michael that day in case I ever needed to ask him questions about the monitors.

"Hey! You're that new kid right?" A feminine voice called out to me immediately interrupting me from my thoughts and my coffee. As I turned my head, I instantly recognized the woman. She was the employee who had warned me about tripping during my interview. Her ginger locks curled against her round, freckled face. She wore a spunky yellow dress that hugged her body beautifully. A sweet smile was curved on her plump cherry lips as she held a cup of coffee in her hand.
"Oh hey, I don't think I ever got your name." I greeted her back as she approached me.
"Oh! My apologies, honey. I bet you were thinkin' I was some weirdo." She giggled, "Name's Emma. Mind if I take a seat?"
"Not at all. I'm (Y/N)." I smiled as I watched her sit down in front of me. She set her coffee down beside mine and crossed her arms, leaning forward against the table.
"How did trainin' go with Michael?"
"Not that bad. He can be a bit cranky at times but he's nice when he wants to be."
"Oh yeah? I heard. I got trained by Bill so I didn't get to talk to him but words been goin' 'round sayin' he gotta attitude."
"He does but I'm sure it's for a good reason, you know? I don't wanna judge him because what if he's going through something serious."
"Fair point. Still, though, he ain't gotta be mean just cause he's dealing with issues. He oughtta figure his problems out. Ain't nobody like a negative Nancy."
It was my turn to giggle. Her nickname for him was too fitting and she shared a valid point. Maybe I was being too nice?
"Where are you from, Emma? You sound different than the people here." I asked her curiously as I took note of her strong country accent. Her eyes shifted from my gaze to her cup of coffee.
"Well lovely, I moved 'ere a while back. My kiddos were havin' a hard time at school so I thought movin' would be a benefit." She answered as she took a sip of her coffee.
"Oh, I see. I didn't know you had children. How are they adjusting?" I watched as she mindlessly moved her cup in a circular pattern on the table just as she set it back down from placing it on her lips.
"Pretty damn good I'll say! They're more popular here than when they were back in Tennessee." She grinned, her teeth were a little yellow but they were perfectly in place. The southern belle continued to ramble on about her two children. One a boy and the other a girl. They were still in elementary and were excited about the new environment.

I yawned as I flipped through the pages of the manual that Michael had given me on the day of training. Emma had left an hour ago because she needed to pick up her kids which left me to my own devices. I didn't understand why it was required but he just told me to stop asking questions and to learn about the history of the entertainment industry since I pretty much knew nothing. I assumed it would be a place like Chuck E. Cheese or Showbiz but the history was much darker. Just what kind of messed up company was I working for?

☺☻
A/N: I am so hungry rn