Chapter 28

♫♫ Better Together by Jack Johnson ♫♫

"Is he proposing, or did Hannah just convince me to get this gorgeous dress," Brooke said, laughing, pointing her camera at the dress still on its hanger

"You almost ready to go?" Hannah yelled from the living room where she was playing with Cove.

"Yeah, I just want to finish this TikTok that my sister thought would be funny," Brooke said, saving the video as a draft and closing out of the app.

"Okay! We are ready to leave whenever you are," Hannah said.

"How do I look," Brooke smiled, walking into the living room, having put on the dress and fixing her hair and makeup.

"Mommy, you're so pretty," Cove said, getting up and walking over to her mom.

"Thank you, baby," Brooke said, picking up the 3-year-old.

"Wow, Clay's one lucky boy, you look amazing."

"Thank you, I'm ready to go if you are," Brooke said, heading towards the door.

"I'll grab the bag."

"Do you wanna stay for dinner?" Brooke asked.

"I'll come in for a little while to say hi to Clay, but Karl and I have dinner plans tonight," Hannah said.

"Okie Dokie," Brooke said, walking up the driveway. As she approached the front door, something was off. His car was in the driveway instead of in the garage like it usually was-- but it meant that Clay was home. The other strange thing about the house was that Clay shut all of the blinds; they usually left the blinds open when they were home because they liked the natural light. Unlocking the door, the first thing she noticed was the lights were out in the house, but there were fairy lights and flameless candles everywhere.