Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Beca’s eyelids fluttered as she turned around on the couch. Feeling the warmth of another body next to her, her first reaction was to tense up. Noticing the blond hair covering the person’s eyes, she immediately knew it was Luke. With a grumble, she pushed herself up from the couch and onto her feet. Still, she was tired. Second day of school...great.

She took a few steps towards her bedroom, before making her way to the shower. The warm water did miracles to wake her up, turning the half asleep girl into a slightly half asleep girl. The whole morning was pretty normal. Luke stole one of his old T-shirts that he found pushed into the back of one of Beca’s drawers. Dr. Mitchell acknowledged both of them, asking them if they wanted breakfast. What wasn’t normal was the doorbell ringing at exactly 6:45 in the morning, not a second later.

“Beca, can you get the door?” Dr. Mitchell called from the kitchen. Luke was helping himself to his third waffle, but Beca knew that it wouldn’t be the last one for him. She groaned as she made her way to the door, now clad in her jeans and an old t-shirt. The shirt hung loose and baggy on her small frame and she hadn’t even managed to pull a brush through her hair yet. Even as she was right at the door, the person outside didn’t stop ringing the bell every other second. Pulling the door open, she stared blankly at the chipper face on the other side.

“Look dude, I don’t know what time you usually get up, but for normal people it’s still the middle of the night.”

Her visitor smiled, pushing the door open and inviting himself in, “Even though I love how kind you are to people that go out of their way to come to your house, we must get you all ready. It’s the second day of school, you know.”

There was a twinkle to his eyes and he was way too happy in Beca’s mind. “So, Jesse, what brings you here,” she questioned as she crossed her arms, staring at him.

“Well,” he began, “After ten years of not seeing you, not once, I must regain my spot as your absolute best friend. I thought this would be a great place to start.” He jumped on her couch, kicking his legs up and folding his arms behind his head.

“You have a habit of making yourself at home, did you know that?,” she quipped.

Jesse smiled and nodded, unaffected by her snarky attitude, causing Beca to roll her eyes as she started up the stairs. “Just go get some breakfast. I’ll be down in a sec.” With a nod, Jesse made his way to the kitchen. As Beca reached her bedroom and rifled through all her stuff to find a shirt that wasn’t too wrinkled to wear, she could hear Jesse catching up with her dad while engaging Luke in some talk about music. Wow, he really did adjust to anything and everything rather quickly. Pulling a semi-clean t-shirt over her head, she bounded down the stairs, grabbing her backpack from the end of the railing. “Let’s go, nerds,” she called. The two boys strolled towards her, Jesse with a half eaten waffle hanging in his mouth.

“So, Beca,” Luke smirked, “Jesse told me a few stories from when you were young. You never told me how much you loved wearing pink. I thought the great Beca Mitchell had always been a badass. All my respect for you has completely gone out the window.”