Chapter 8

Chapter 8

“Becs! Hurry up!” Jesse called from her living room. He had decided to get to her house early to make sure they were at Chloe’s house on time, but Beca seemed to be on her own time schedule. He could hear her throwing things around in her room, undoubtedly making a mess. She insisted on taking her own car, telling him that she needed to practice driving. She was from New York, where the subway was the main mode of transportation.

“Give me a sec, sheesh.” she shouted from her room. “I just have to find the ticket.”

Beca had, moments prior, given one of the two tickets to her gig with Luke to Jesse. With a wide grin, he had accepted it, excited that he finally got to hear the music she was always going on and on about.

“Okay, I got it,” Beca said, running down the stairs, her hair bouncing behind her. She wore a pair of black leggings with an oversized sweater that hung in all the right places. Pulling a scarf over her head and her combat boots on her feet, she ran towards her car, waiting for him to follow.

Unlocking the door, she got in, adjusting the mirrors before starting the engine. Turning on the radio, Beca began swaying to the beat while Jesse just stared at her from the corner of his eye with absolute wonder. He didn’t know how she did it; one moment she would be badass Beca Mitchell and the next minute she would be Beca Mitchell- girl next door. Driving up Chloe’s street, they could already see the line of cars stretching along the road. The house was lit up; every single light was turned on. Music was blasting; the song was vaguely familiar.

Stepping out of the car, Jesse waited until Beca was at his side before making his way down the narrow pathway. She walked a few steps behind him, looking at the house. It looked pretty much the same as it had looked all those years ago, except the house looked like it donned a new layer of paint. Looking through the open window, Beca could see a very blond, broad girl, about the same age as her, attempting to eat the largest mexican burrito she had ever seen. Across the table sat a boy, doing the same. All throughout the front room Beca was able to see people, from an asian girl wearing eccentric clothes to a group of guys watching another guy in the center attempt to do a card trick. It was like Chloe invited a person from every cliche clique in all high school movies to one place.

Opening up the door, stood Chloe, a smile emerging on her face. “Welcome, Beca and Jesse!” she squealed. “I’m so happy the two of you could make it!”

Beca stepped inside, hanging her jacket on the rack a few feet inside the house. Taking Beca’s hand, Chloe led her through the maze of twisting doors and walls, introducing the majority of the people in attendance.

“Fat Amy, nice to meet you,” the girl, who had been eating a burrito, stuck out a hand for her to shake. Accepting the handshake, Beca’s eyebrows raised when she heard the girl’s name but she quickly responded, “It’s nice to meet you too, I’m Beca”

“Nah, I already know who you are.” Fat Amy said, waving off her introduction and taking another bite of her burrito, “Jesse and Chloe wouldn’t stop yammering about you. I recognized you the first minute you stepped into school the first day; there aren’t many girls I could list who possess an ear spike and are described as ‘totes super pretty, but whose evil eye might actually kill you.’”