Chapter 15

“I hate you,” Beca said through the curtain, trying not to fall in her heels. Chloe had dragged her to the mall, bribing the brunette with lunch and a trip to the record store. After scanning the racks for hours, Chloe was sure they finally found a dress that was perfect. It had taken a few hours for Chloe to get Beca to even try on a dress, but finally Beca got tired of Chloe’s whining and stomped off into the dressing room with a huff.

Chloe gasped when Beca stumbled out from behind the curtain. She disregarded Beca’s pout permanently etched onto her face and concentrated on the dress itself. Chloe had been very diligent with finding her a dress. She knew she had only a good three hours with Beca until she would get frustrated and sulk until they left the mall. This particular dress, only the second one Beca had tried on, was easily a good match.

It was short, but it was very modest. The navy blue fabric gently landed a couple of inches above her knees, halfway to the middle of her thighs. Unlike Chloe’s dress, which was so sparkly that Beca said she needed to wear sunglasses, this dress only had a delicate, crystal trim bordering the sweetheart bodice.

Chloe could tell that Beca liked it because it took her longer to ask to take it off. For the previous dress, Beca was ready to rip it off as soon as the fabric touched her body.

“Okay, we’re done. I’m not trying to torture you. Let’s go buy it,” Chloe said as Beca retreated back behind the curtain. Within minutes she was back in her t-shirt and jeans, holding the dress over her arm. “Finally,” Beca exaggeratedly huffed, trying to provoke her friend. Chloe just laughed as they made their way to the register, Beca tossing her father’s credit card on the counter.

“Jesse’s going to love it,” Chloe said, looking at Beca to gage her reaction. If you weren’t watching Beca carefully, you wouldn’t have seen her slight smile before she turned towards Chloe with her arms crossed, “Don’t you start with me, Chloe.” Chloe grinned as Beca took back the credit card and the bag, ushering Chloe towards the food court.

…..

Chloe was right, as usual. Jesse just stared at Beca as she came down the steps of Chloe’s house. It was night of the dance, and finally, Beca had decided to go. He wasn’t sure how Chloe got her to agree, but he wasn’t sure he wanted to know. It was probably a mix of blackmail and bribery which he had no desire to figure out. All that mattered was she was coming with them.

The dress was not extravagant in the slightest, but it was elegant and gorgeous just like Beca. Her hair was down, yelling at Chloe whenever she had suggested an updo. It fell around her face, gently, in perfect curls. Jesse swore she wouldn’t of stuck out among a mob of celebrities. She matched their grace and their beauty. He was so used to her in jeans and an old t-shirt that it took a minute to register that it was, indeed, his Beca.

Of course, she looked beautiful everyday, but today she just looked extra special. The fabric hugged her thin figure, forming to every inch of her skin. A scowl was still on her face, loudly cursing at the shoes in which she said were glittery death traps. Jesse chuckled as he was about to stand up to help her down the steps. Taken aback by the man already at her side, Jesse’s mouth turned slightly downwards as he saw her leaning into Luke. They laughed together as Beca scoped out the room for Chloe before pulling the heels off her feet and running down the rest of the stairs barefoot.