Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The next period started too soon in Beca’s opinion. Once the bell sounded, Beca and Jesse bounded down the stairs, pushing open the door at the bottom. Soon, they were immersed back in the hectic traffic of the hallway. Kids to their right and to their left whizzed passed them, hardly giving them a second look. With a kiss to her hand, Jesse was off to his next class, promising to meet up with her again soon. A smile glazing over her face, Beca joined the masses, shuffling down the hallway towards social studies.

…..

The sound of a rapidly clicking pen brought Beca’s head up from her notes (which was actually just a book full of doodles and sketches). The source of the incessant clicking noise was a familiar redhead not seated very far from Beca. Chloe was staring intently at the SMART board, jotting down notes as quickly as humanly possible. That might’ve been the reason why she didn’t respond when Beca tried to get her attention. Her constant whispers of “Dude! Chloe!” were futile.

Their teacher, too deaf to hear Beca’s calls and too old to care, continued on with her lesson, proceeding to talk about the ancient Incas and their civilization. The sound of her monotonous voice could be effective as a lullaby, Beca thought as she struggled to keep her eyes open. As if by magic, temporarily waking Beca up, the teacher called out that the rest of the period would be devoted to group work. The sounds of desks scratching the floor filled up the room, but Beca was more concentrated on moving up to the seat next to Chloe.

Sliding into the chair, Beca grinned at the red-head. “Beca!” Chloe exclaimed, pulling her into a brief side hug, “I didn’t even know you were in this class!” Chloe’s eyes lit up, animatedly talking while turning her desk to face Beca’s.

“I might’ve skipped a few times,” Beca explained, laughing it off like it was nothing. She turned to glance at the boy in front of them as he passed back a packet of work to the two of them. Work that, Beca  Chloe thanked the guy and continued to gush, “Is it because of Jesse? I saw you guys go up to that old library. You know, he has only ever taken me up there. It’s pretty special to him.” Chloe winked, creating a slight pink color brush over Beca’s cheeks.

“Of course not. It isn’t Jesse who is repelling me from this class. History is history. I don’t think I am in desparate need of learning about ancient civilizations,” Beca picked up the packet in front of her, flipping through the pages with her nose scrunched up. She threw her name upon the line at the top, but she knew she really didn’t care for the work. Chloe, on the other hand, started to rave about her life since Beca had moved, while still managing to fill out the questions in her neat, cursive handwriting.

Dotting her last ‘i’, Chloe began, “We really need to hang out Beca. It’s like I don’t even know you, well I mean you do seem pretty similar to how you were when you were younger, but you know what I’m talking about.” It was like Chloe talked a hundred words per minute, not even stopping to take a breath. Beca looked at her, trying to catch every word before Chloe’s next sentence came flooding over the first.

“You know what,” Chloe said, with her eyes sparkling with excitement, “You should….No, you have to….come over my house on Friday. I and some of my other friends are going to have a movie night.” Placing her hand on top of Beca’s, she smiled brightly. “We’ll have a chance to catch up and you can tell me all about New York. I want to hear everything!”