Chapter 13

“I know you like him.” piped Chloe from behind Beca, while trying to match her pace with Beca’s as they walked down the school hallway. Ignoring the red headed girl pestering her, Beca just focused her gaze straight ahead. Shifting her backpack from one shoulder to the other, she continued walking.

“You don’t have to hide it,” Chloe went on, “He likes you too, its obvious.” As those words slipped out of Chloe’s mouth, Beca couldn’t help but discreetly smile to herself.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about,” Beca stopped at her locker, twisting the lock right then left then back again. “He’s with Aubrey.” She grabbed the books from inside her backpack, throwing them one by one onto the shelf.

Pictures had slowly began to cover Beca’s locker, mostly because Chloe couldn’t believe Beca was okay with the undecorated metal walls. Within a couple of hours, Chloe had run back with Beca to her locker, holding a stack of photos in her hands and a roll of tape on her pointer finger. Both Beca and Chloe had known that there was nothing stopping Chloe once she was on a mission. The locker was the first of many ambushes that Chloe had spearheaded, ranging from Beca’s addiction to plaid to Beca’s habit of listening to music while in class.

Beca couldn’t believe it was almost the end of the quarter. The days flew by, actually much quicker than she had thought they would. Everyday, Jesse was there at her door. He usually told her he came just because her dad always had breakfast ready and he had a soft spot for pancakes, but they both knew that it was more than a steaming hot plate of carbs that had made Jesse come back every single day. Over the few months, Beca had formed a schedule, a routine. Jesse would come and then the three of them (Luke always seemed to arrive as well) would head off to school.

They never really learned anything in physics, which was their first period class. They were usually listening to Beca’s headphones in class, laughing when they would get weird looks from the other students. It was a good thing their teacher never had the energy to put a stop to their giggles from their seats in the back row. Lunch would be when Beca would be attacked by Chloe as the girl hugged her and started babbling on about her day. Otherwise, lunch would be the time Jesse pulled Beca up to the library to sneak in a movie, always tossing her a juice pouch and pulling a bag of popcorn out from his backpack.

In between the abundance of time they spent at school, Jesse and Beca would always find time to continue their movications. Many times, Chloe and Luke would also show up to. As Jesse put it, they would be ‘Beca wranglers’ so she wouldn’t try to wiggle her way out of watching movies. In the short few months she had been with them, Beca had formed what she never had before; a group of friends that she knew she could count on. There was a stability in her life that was foreign to her, but she was already feeling like she could get used to it.

There wasn’t just Luke anymore. There was Luke AND Jesse and Chloe, always around her and always getting her to crack a smile. Even though it felt so different for Beca, the one who was notoriously known for hiding away in her room with her laptop and a pair of headphones, she fell into the rhythm of her new life all too quickly.

Chloe, leaning against the adjacent locker just looked at Beca with a knowing grin.