Chapter 11

Chapter 11

No, Jesse wasn’t going to give up. He wasn’t that type of guy. Usually, he was the guy to beg the teacher for extra credit until he got his wish. He was the guy who waited outside the radio station everyday until they offered him an interview even though they weren’t hiring at that moment. Eventually, after weeks of unpaid time stacking CDs and fetching coffee, Jesse had been offered a job. He wasn’t used to giving up, nor would he ever be.

When he and Beca were toddlers, his mom had told him that Beca never really paid attention to him. She was always off coloring or playing with toys. Each day, when his parents would bring him over her house for a playdate, he would inch just a bit closer to her as he played with his toys until eventually, she willingly let him play with her. Back in elementary school, he was the one who brought Beca juice pouches everyday for circle time because she hated the milk Sheila would always give her. Even now, in high school, he still wanted to be that person to her, loving the way his stomach turned when he knew he made her lips turn up in a smile.

That was why he wasn’t going to let this one mishap hinder his friendship with her. Like it or not, he was going to find a way to wiggle himself back into her life. He could never forget how close they were when they were younger, how she stood up for him without even being asked. There was no way to repay her for that. With one hand pushing open the car door, he slid out and beckoned for Chloe to follow him.

The neon sign in front of them illuminated the night sky, giving the rest of the street a blue glow. The club was in the heart of the city, but at night, it looked more barren than ever. A few people walked on the sidewalks here and there, but the club was pretty much the only thing that looked animated among a sea of darkened buildings. Given, it was already half past 12 o’clock, but it still looked pretty empty to Jesse. They would’ve gotten there earlier if Chloe didn’t keep messing up the directions. “I promise, I know where we are.” she had assured him more than a couple of times.

The bouncer at the door glanced over him, almost ready to send him elsewhere, before Chloe emerged from behind Jesse and the bouncer gladly let them in without even having to show him the VIP tickets.

“Thank you!” she called behind her as they walked in, Jesse just chuckling and shaking his head.

Jesse, even though he wasn’t really a ‘club-goer’ he was intrigued by the whole atmosphere. It was loud, what with music blasting from every corner, but he didn’t have to yell to get Chloe’s attention. People were all over, scattered throughout the room. People clustered by the bar, sipping colorful drinks clad with salt-brushed rims and chunks of various fruits. Groups of young women were throwing their heads back in laughter, taking pictures to preserve their memories. There were chairs spread out along the outer rims of the club, hosting a few couples who wanted to relax after dancing until their feet were numb.

In the center, on a raised platform was the dance floor. The fluorescent lights bounced off the walls, reflecting off of a series of mirrors. It was hard to distinguish one body from another. Everyone seemed to form one large mass. Both girls and guys were jumping so hard Jesse could feel the floor shake ever so slightly. Chloe had already joined in, jumping up and down with the crowd, however Jesse was more focused on the girl at the DJ booth. Strands of her long hair fell over her eyes, prompting her to push them behind her ears. A laptop glowed white in a room full of color. It was almost too crowded to see her; he had to peer through the throngs of people to just catch a glimpse of her face.