New Kid?

Your P.o.V

"Hey Y/n, are you gonna be finished with your work soon?" Lucky walks over to where I'm sitting and puts my drink on the table. I look up from my laptop, slowly rubbing my hands over my eyes. Shrugging, I take a sip of my drink and tell her I might be here for a few more hours. She walks away to serve more customers. It's been at least two hours since I started writing this damn essay but it should be finished soon. School wanted us to write an essay about some bullshit that no one cares about, so here I am, writing it out early so I can forget about it for the rest of my summer.

A couple minutes later the song on the jukebox changes and a tall boy sits next to me with some paper. He looks at the paper for a second before turning to me. "Hey, sorry but uh, do you have a pen I could borrow?" I look at the paper and it's a job application, I forgot we had those out. I pass him a pen and we both continue what we were doing. Just as I'm finishing my essay, Lucky walks (rolls) in and gives the cooks the orders. The guys in the kitchen mess around with the food, making me shake my head at their grossness. The kid next to me looks up at her as she turns around. "Cool place," oh boy I can guess where this is going. Lucky looks over to me and I try not to laugh.

"I don't own it." She shrugs. He smiles and shrugs.

"I know you don't own it. You look pretty young to own a business," I'm guessing he's trying to flirt with her right now. I pack my things up slowly so I can watch the encounter. The girl nods and begins to turn away before he continues. "I saw the sign out front. 'Help Wanted'?" Lucky picks up the paper and scans it.

"Under experience, you put 'friendly' with a smiley face?" She looks over at me confused and again, I try to stifle my laughter. The poor boy shakes his head and smiles, then tries to correct himself.

"I didn't really know what to put,"

"I don't think 'friendly' qualifies as experience," the guys in the kitchen start to look over. New kid stop or get yourself out of this situation now. Again he shakes his head, still smiling but with a hint of nervousness.

"It's a quality I guess," eventually Lucky smiles, hands me his form and turns to the kitchen. I read over what he's written, chuckling at the little face he drew.

"How old are you?" The kid hesitates before answering with seventeen. Y'know I don't believe him but if that's what he says.

"Think you can put in a good word for me?" He follows her movements as she walks away.

"I can tell them you have a pulse." And with that she leaves. I can't help but let a laugh out at the awkwardly funny conversation I witnessed.

"My name's Trevor." The kitchen boys look over, they're gonna tease him, but why can't this kid see it's not working.

"My name's Trevor." Don't get me wrong he's an awkward kid but he doesn't need these bullies after him already. "Dude, that was great. Dude, that was really cute." They point at him and mock him. I feel bad, I mean it's not like he knows she has a boyfriend, or how to flirt apparently. He looks kind of embarrassed but tries to hide it. "You have a chance with her. You really do." The two dickwads tease him. Oh god, he probably thinks she's single.

"Don't listen to them, they share three braincells between them," Trevor turns to me and gives a tight lipped smile, though I can still see the embarrassment. He passes my pen back and gets up to leave. "You're new right? I haven't seen you before," I put some money in the till for my food and grab my stuff. He nods, his face clearly showing that he's annoyed, I assume from the fact he's moving here of all places. I stick my hand out towards him, "I'm (Y/n) by the way," he shakes it slowly.

"I'm Trevor, y-you already know that," he rubs his neck nervously. Making sure I have everything, I stand up to leave and so does Trevor. "Hey I should go now, but uh thanks for the pen." I nod my head at him and we head to the door.

Before I leave, I decide to give him a bit of comfort. "I work here too. So if you need any help with anything, I'll be there. And if you need to hide from the boys." He seems to relax and lets out a breathy laugh. The tall boy thanks me before we walk away.