The Threads of Apollo Adventure 1 ½: I Promise

Nico

Nico thought it would be easy to find y/n. He was wrong. Where the heck is this girl? He went through the wings of the hospital over one more time. He heard a scream. He ran to the source. It was y/n. Another one of those creatures was attacking her. He went to help but y/n stabbed the creature in the stomach.

"HA! In your face. Don't mess with a child of Zeus you bi-"

"y/n. You really shouldn't say that. There are probably more of them. Let's go. I have the thread."

"Cool." She kicked the ashes as she walked to him. "Ya, ready ghost boy?" Nico rolled his eyes and pulled her out of the hospital. "Don't be like that Nico." She gave a small laugh. Nico's stomach erupted in tingles. Not this again.

...

"Okay, so how are we going to get to Dallas?" y/n asked. They were outside the hospital discussing the next phase.

"Don't know."

"I can fly us there."

"No, we will die before we reach Kentucky."

"Well what do you think we should do?"

"We could ask the Hunters of Artemis. I mean they do know my sister." Nico mumbled.

"The Hunters of who?"

"The Hunters of Artemis. They are teenage girls that swore to be eternal maidens and serve the Goddess Artemis."

" Okay, do you know where they are?"

" Yeah, they are usually in West Virginia this time of year for goose hunting."

"How do you know?"

"My sister used to be a part of the Hunters." Nico felt a ting in his heart. It was like opening an old wound. y/n looked at him like she wanted to say more but didn't. He appreciated it. But if he saw the Hunters he might lose it. "But there's no guarantee they'll help. And we need to save money so we could just hop on a box train to Dallas."

"Yea, I guess." And with that the two went to the train yard.

...

y/n

The two decided that hopping on a train at soon as possible was the best option. Once they got to the train yard Nico used his shadow travel to sneak into the train schedules. When Nico got back he told her when the next train left for Dallas.

"12:00pm. In about two hours. So let's get some food and find where the first hospital was located. It's most likely going to go in the same pattern."

"Yeah, good idea." The two went to the nearest public library. The walk was silent. An awkward silence. Well at least it was awkward for y/n. All that plagued her mind was who his sister was. She understood she was dead. But she wanted to know more. She wanted to know more about Nico. Which was weird. Her whole life she just rolled through never really asking questions, getting to know people, or making friends(without extreme difficulty anyway). But for some unknown reason she wanted to know him. And not just because of her little puppy crush. She had those all the time and boys were always a disappointment. They were all cocky douches. In her opinion. She's met nice guys but she only saw them as friends. But something about Nico was different, he was different.

When they got to the library Nico logged onto a computer and looked up 'the first hospital in Dallas,Texas address.' And '5201 Harry Hines Blvd.' popped up.

"Wait, how long is a train ride from here to Dallas?" y/n asked. Nico typed furiously. And it was shorter to drive. But neither of them could. A plane ride would only be 3 ½ hours.

"No. No. No. You are not flying us again." Nico protested.

"Listen if you want to save Percy we have to do it. I thought you cared about him. You can't let me and my bad flying get in the way." She immediately covered her mouth. It wasn't her place. She didn't even know where that came from. Maybe it was the fact that he didn't trust her. Or maybe it was the underlying jealousy of Percy. She kinda had an idea that he liked him. But she wasn't 100% sure. Maybe just a brotherly figure. But she knew she struck a nerve.

"I do care about him. A lot actually." He stared at the ground. Oh shit no, no please no. wait why do I care. It's just a puppy crush right?" "I just don't know in what way yet. I'm sorry, let's just go. Up, up and away. I guess..."

As they exited the library all y/n felt was pain. She hurt his feelings and she might've just been indirectly rejected. But that wasn't important. She needed to apologize to him.

When they took off they didn't talk, in the air they didn't say a word. Until y/n broke the silence.

"I'm sorry Nico. What I said was out of line and uncalled for. It wasn't my place. I know you care for Percy. And what I said was wrong. If you want I can set us down and we can get a bus, train, or get a demigod taxi(if those exist.)"

"It's fine y/n. I mean. I didn't have to be so difficult about flying. But we could shadow travel there if you really wanna make it up to me." He wiggled his eyebrows and smirked. He knows I don't like it that son of a b-

"Alright. But can I ask you one question if you don't mind. ANd you don't have to answer. Who's your sister?" y/n could feel Nico's life drain from his body. His playfulness is gone. All she could see was anguish.

"It's okay, I'll tell you. I feel like I can trust you. Even though I barely trust anyone. It's weird." He feels the same way. That blind trust. "She was my older sister, Bianca Di Angelo. When I was 11, Percy, Annabeth, Grover and Thalia saved her and I from this manticore and took us to camp Half-blood. She left me to join The Hunters. Then, a quest came and she was lost(killed) in The Field of Hephaestus. I contacted her but she wanted to be left alone. So I did." Tears fell from Nico's chocolate eyes. y/n looked at him she closed her eyes and kissed his cheek and pulled him closer, in a tight embrace.

"It's okay, I'm here for you Nico. I'm not gonna leave you I promise."