~23. New style and a new purpose

7 Years - Lukas Graham

Jungkook's father was more attentive toward his son ever since he returned home four days ago. Like right now, the young man was sitting on the couch as he stared at the TV mindlessly. He hadn't changed the channel in twenty minutes and was gaping the ads.

Mr. Jeon approached him and sat beside him. Jungkook flinched before he smiled, looking at the man's mouth bracketed by worry. "Appa... Aren't you late for work?" He asked haggardly. 

"I can go late," the father smiled in assurance. Jungkook noted the perfume. The same smell he associated his father with. Poised, composed, confident. "Do you want to join me?"

"Me?" Jungkook asked, taken aback by the sudden ask. 

"Diversion could be good for you," Mr. Jeon suggested quickly. Mrs. Jeon appeared behind them, looking dreadful and shaking her head no to her husband. Mr. Jeon's eyes caught her and averted to Jungkook again. "I don't want to rush you in anything, son," he gently patted his shoulder. "Think about it and we'll talk whenever you are ready."

Jungkook looked down and nodded. "I'll think about it."

"There's no rush, really," Mr. Jeon tried again, smiling in a friendlier way, his fingers deftly caressing Jungkook's shoulder. 

"I understand." Jungkook stood up, making his father mirror him.

Not before flashing a weak smile, he walked toward his room, disappearing soon. Mr. Jeon sighed. "What was that about?" His wife chided. 

"I honestly think it will help him," the man answered, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"He mightn't think in the same way. Please. He needs his time." The woman said, exasperated. 

The man nodded silently, averting his eyes to the TV screen. Mrs. Jeon looked at her mother-in-law, who was crocheting sitting on her lawn chair by the window. "I'll see you at dinner," Mr. Jeon cuffed his sleeves before placing a kiss on his wife's forehead. 

She smiled. 

He nodded once before beelining towards the door.

Mrs. Jeon slumped on the couch with a loud huff and heard the elderly woman laughing out loud. Her troubled eyes glared at her. "What's so funny?"

"He's scared of you," the woman laughed louder. "You never know how to take advantage of it."

Jungkook's mother rolled her eyes and despite wanting to sink into the couch, edged towards the old lady. "What are you doing?" She asked, pacing closer to her. 

"I am making a sweater for Kookie."

Now, Mrs. Jeon found her smile as she stared at the red thread in her mother-in-law's hands. "He isn't a kid anymore, Eomma. He's not gonna wear it."

"Of course, he will." The senior barked and gestured with the back of her hands to shoo her daughter-in-law away. "Go now. I have work to do. Unlike you."

"Unlike me?" Mrs. Jeon held her waist, popping her hip out as he looked down her nose at the lady sitting on the chair. "Who takes care of laundry, shopping, hosting dinners,-"

"The maids."

"I cook too sometimes!" Mrs. Jeon squalled, her lips pouting. 

"You sure do." The elderly mumbled, nodding her head in faux agreement.