Chapter 5

The Ice Festival was a folk festival, but sometimes the Emperor would also participate in it. Having fun with the people, chasing each other on the ice wearing skates, it was a winter event that the public was extremely fond of.

Originally, this year the Ministry of Rites was also asked to make arrangements and notify the military camp to make security preparations in advance, but when the papers were ready, the idea was suppressed by the Emperor who had just quarreled with the Lord Empress. Thus, everything was put on hold.

This matter spread to the people.

As Yun Qingci and Lin Huaijin walked together, they heard someone talking: “I think Canglan Lake is a private venue this time. Isn’t His Majesty coming this year?”

“Don’t you know yet? His Majesty has been annoyed to death recently, how can he still have the mind to have fun with us.”

“What do you mean?”

“Isn’t it because of Lord Empress Yun’s domineering jealousy that angered His Majesty? I heard this person was directly kicked out. My brother who works in the palace says that this time, it should be difficult for Lord Empress Yun to turn the situation around.”

“I have heard this, but doesn’t His Majesty like Lord Empress Yun?”

“It’s absolutely true. I don’t know what he’s thinking. He can’t give birth to a child, and he won’t let His Majesty touch others. Does he want to make the royal family extinct? Of course, His Majesty will hate him. Just think about it, how can such an ignorant person be the son of the prime minister?”

“He has only stayed in the prime minister’s mansion for a few years. It’s not like Prime Minister Yun taught him, he grew up with his mother…”

The sound gradually faded away.

The Emperor was generous and benevolent and advocated freedom of speech, but everyone was responsible for their words. If there were rumors that slandered and humiliated the royal family, those who spread them would be punished.

The matter between Yun Qingci and Li Ying could not be considered private, and no one deliberately blocked the news. Besides, it was useless to block it: Yun Qingci was the one who caused trouble in front of the Prime Minister’s mansion.

However, the matter of abolishment was sensitive, and no one dared to talk about it openly.

Yun Qingci had expected all this a long time ago. His reputation was completely ruined after he was driven out of the palace. Those who hated him vigorously promoted how disdainful he was, and those who loved him… There was no one who loved him, so no one deliberately tried to suppress the gossip.

Yun Qingsu was quietly observing his reaction. It was actually Prime Minister Yun’s intention not to prevent the spreading of the news, because he was going to use this matter to make Yun Qingci open his eyes and see clearly. Had Li Ying really loved him, he would not have let rumors spread.

As long as Yun Qingci could be convinced that Li Ying no longer cared for him, their plan to persuade him to divorce would be half successful.

Yun Qingci’s expression was calm, and he didn’t seem to be concerned.

Then something warm covered his ears, and he was taken aback for a moment. It was Lin Huaijin who took a pair of furry warm ear mufflers out of nowhere and put them on Yun Qinci’s ears from behind.

With his ears warm, Yun Qingci involuntarily glanced up at Lin Huaijin who smiled and said: “Look at your ears, all red with cold. My mother handed them to me before I went out. I thought they’re useless, so I just put them on for you.”