First Meeting

Derek Shepherd had always been a family man, growing up with 4 sisters and Mark meant that he was never alone. So he always knew he wanted to have kids of his own one day but he never expected to happen when he was just 18.

It changed everything. His hopes of going to medical school and becoming a neurosurgeon all crumbled as he ended up dropping out of college to get a job. It wasn't what he wanted to do but he didn't see any other way, he was having a baby and he needed to provide for that baby.

Everything was perfect, until it wasn't. Things became too much for Addison and she ended up leaving Derek with their daughter. She just walked away, claiming she wasn't made to be a mother. So now, she just dropped in every now and then, showed her face on her birthday and then disappeared into the sunset once again.

But he wouldn't change it for the world because his daughter, Emily, was his world. She gave him a reason to carry on and better himself. He did it all for her. So even though he wasn't the famous surgeon he always wanted to be, he was happy working as a mechanic meaning he got to see Emily grow up into the beautiful young women she is today.

"When can I get a car?" Emily asked as she continued to spin on the chair in the office.

"When you're 16." Derek said stopping the chair so she was facing him. "Why aren't you on your way to school?"

"I hate it." She shrugged, giving the typical answer any other 13 year old would. "It's boring, can't I just stay here with you today?" She said, batting her eyelashes at him.

"No you can't Em." He watched as she sighed before moving to grab her bag. "Look, I'll close up shop later and come to pick you up from school. We can shopping, grab ice cream, whatever you want. My treat."

"Yeah ok." Emily said as she gave him a gentle nod and a soft smile. She turned to walk away but stopped and faced Derek again. "Hey dad, have you heard from mom recently?" She asked with almost a sad sparkle in her eyes.

"No Em, I'm sorry." He gave a sad smile and watched as she nodded her head and looked to the floor.

"It's not your fault she's a shitty mom." She shrugged and watched as he frowned at her, causing her to laugh. "I best go, I love you dad."

"I love you too kiddo." Derek gave her one last smile before she walked out of the garage and as soon as she gone, the smile dropped off his face.

He hated Addison for what she was doing Emily, the inconsistency in her life isn't what she needed, especially at this age. For years now, he wished she had a mother figure in her life but he wasn't willing to just date anyone, it had to been someone special in order for them to meet Emily.

"Hello, is anyone here?" He heard a soft and delicate voice coming from the front door as he plastered a fake smile on his face and walked out to greet them.

"Hey..." he stopped when he set his eyes on her. He was completely overwhelmed by her natural beauty. "Can I help you?"

"No sorry, it's just I'm Lexies older sister, you know Emily's friend?" She almost asked him.

"Oh yeah, sorry I know Lexie. Busy morning." He shook his head as the realisation hit him causing her to giggle which resulted in Derek's stomach to flutter slightly.

"It's fine, I understand." She smiled. "It's just, I was driving pass and saw her walking to school so I was coming to see if it was alright for me to give her a lift. I didn't want to step on anyones toes by just taking her, I wouldn't want you to think I was kidnapping her. Which I wouldn't do, of course..."

"Did you even take a breath during any of that?" Derek asked as he laughed, he watched as her cheeks blushed slightly as she laughed with him. "But I appreciate you coming to ask. Of course it's alright for you to take her, I mean I would do it myself but, you know..." he said holding his arms up and pointing around the garage.

"I completely get it. I tend to drop Lexie off most mornings so I'd be more than happy to swing by and pick Emily up as well for you if needed." Meredith smiled before quickly glancing at her watch.

"Thank you." He smiled before holding his hand out to her. "I'm Derek."

"Meredith." She said as she slipped her hand into his. They wasn't sure what it was but they both felt a shock surge through their bodies as soon as their hands joined.

"Hey dad, stop flirting." Emily joked as she stuck her head round the door. "We are going to be late because you're trying to get Meredith's number."

"Em, I swear I'm gonna..." he picked up a sponge and threw it at the door but Emily was too quick as she ducked behind it. All they could hear was her laugh as she headed back to the car. "Sorry about her."

"No, she's great. We all love her. You did an amazing job raising her." They both turned and looked at each other, their eyes sparkling as the silence consumed them. "I'm going to go now."

"Ok." Derek said as he kept his eyes on her. "It was a pleasure to meet you Meredith."

"You too Derek." The eye contact was finally broke as Meredith turned away and walked to the door before turning to face him one last time. "Bye."

Derek continued to stare at the now closed door, completely mesmerised by Meredith. It had been months now, maybe even years since someone had caught his attention the way she did but right now, he had to just push it to the back of his mind and move on.

He had a job to do and if he wanted to be finished on time then he had to get a move on. So that's exactly what he did, but every now and then his mind would wonder back to Meredith...

****************
"Hey dad." Emily said as she jumped into the car and shut the door forcefully.

"Em..." Derek sighed.

"Sorry, I know the doors. Can be damaging your precious cargo now can I?" She joked.

"Just put your belt on." He couldn't help but smile as he started to drive away from the school. "I hope you said thank you to Meredith for dropping you off this morning."

"I did." Emily smiled, with a hint of mischief in her eyes. "I also gave her your number..."

"Emily, why?" He asked as he turned to face her as he stopped at a red light.

"Because you like her." She said in a cheerful voice. "It's about time you started dating dad, I'm not a little kid anymore."

"I know you mean well but I've told you before Em, you should be interfering with my life. Plus you're the only girl I need in my life." He placed his hand on his shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze before driving off again.

"I just want you to be happy dad and I don't want you to be alone when I eventually go off to college..." Emily shrugged as she looked down at her shoes.

"I am happy kiddo, I've got you." He smiled. "Plus we've got a while yet before you go off to college, so for now, it's just me and you."

"Ok, but still you should ask her out." She held her hands up as Derek turned to frown at her. "Fine, can we go and get some ice cream now?"

"Let's go." Derek turned up the music as the two of them started to sing together as they drove along.

Derek knew she was right, he knew Emily was the age now where he could slowly start getting his own life back but he never wanted her to feel like he was abandoning her. She had, had enough of that in her short life already.

So for now he would continue to cherish the small moments like this where they were both without a care in the world. It was just them, they were a team.