Mom?

The weeks flew by them as Meredith and Derek explored their relationship but going on more and more dates. For own peace of mind they decided to keep it between them, not even telling Emily who was the one that started it all.

But today none of that mattered, today it was all about Emily. Today she was 14. 14 years ago Derek had held his small daughter in his arms for the first time and that's when his life really began.

"Happy birthday!" Derek exclaimed as he walked into Emily's room that morning. "Come on, wake up, it's not everyday that you turn 14!" He said jumping on her bed, listening as she groaned and moved further into her pillows.

"You're so annoying." She sighed when she realised that Derek wasn't going anywhere. "But thanks dad." She smiled as she saw the small pile of presents on the end of her bed.

"I know it doesn't look like much but I thought we could go away at some point this year..." Derek started off by saying but was cut off by Emily.

"Dad, you know I don't expect a lot as long as I get to spend the day with you that's all that matters." She said as she gave his shoulder a quick squeeze.

"I know, I just wish I could give you more." Derek shrugged. "But we are going to be going for a meal tonight plus nana and pops will be coming over later."

"Good." Emily smiled before moving to open the first present. "So are you going to be inviting Meredith to the meal later?" She looked up to see Derek's shocked face.

"How did you..." Derek was in complete shock, he was certain that they had managed to keep under wraps from everyone.

"Oh come on, don't you realise that I see you both sneaking in little kisses on the porch when I'm coming down in the morning." Emily laughed as she shook her head. "But I'm happy for you dad, I like Meredith and she makes you happy so..."

"Thanks kiddo." He said moving off the bed and moved to press his lips to the top of her head. "I'll be downstairs making breakfast, come down whenever you're ready."

He smiled to himself as he heard her gasp with joy when she opened her new phone up. For months now she had been dropping hints that she needed a new phone but he was never able to afford it so he promised himself that he would save up to treat for her birthday.

As he reached the bottom stairs he heard a gentle knock on the door and walked over to answer the door, a smile gracing his face when he saw Meredith.

"Hey." He leaned forward and wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her in, kissing her quick. "I wasn't expecting to see you this morning."

"Yeah well I wanted to bring Emily her present over, come wish her happy birthday." Meredith ran her hands over his chest. "Plus I've missed you."

"I've missed you too." Derek pulled her inside and moved her against the now closed door. Leaning down he pressed his lips to hers and listened as she moaned into his mouth.

"Derek, we need to stop." She said in between kisses. "Emily could see us."

"Oh she already knows." He laughed as he watched Meredith frown at him. "Apparently we suck at sneaking around."

"Oh." Meredith giggled as she leaned to rest her head against his chest.

"Yeah." Derek leaned to rest his chin on top of her head. "Also, she, well we, wanted to know if you wanted to come out for dinner with me and Emily tonight."

"Yeah?" She asked as she leaned back so she could see his face and watched as he nodded. "I'd love to."

Their moment was interrupted as they heard Emily coming down the stairs and they pulled out of one another's arms but stayed close to each other.