four

10th century, Hogwarts Castle

The following years flew by in a flustered haze. There were both good times and bad; moments where Harry longed for the life that had been taken from him, as well as days spent laughing and lounging under the warm sun.

That first September had been rather strange, for everyone it seemed. With Harry not parting ways liked originally planned, the four founders huddled even closer together to make sure that the remaining years he got to spend with them were used to further his education and fill him with enough knowledge, drive, and love before the looming day finally arrived.

Harry, on the other hand, felt an odd sense of loss as well as relief. It was a comfort, knowing that he wouldn't be leaving the life he had built just yet. But where it felt as though someone had gifted him a broken pocket-watch, where time didn't seem to have much of a meaning, nor a purpose anymore, it also became this heavy burden that sometimes clouded his mind. He thought, though not too often, about what he'd be missing out on, the people he wouldn't get to meet, the things he wouldn't learn; of his god father's emotions, if the Sirius Black Merlin had spoken so greatly of would even care for the fact that he hadn't stepped foot inside the grand castle alongside the rest of his schoolmates; and how things would change once he finally did make his appearance.

Although still young, Harry wasn't ignorant to the levels of fame in which his name held in the far future, and his understanding of that fact had come mainly from Salazar. The potioneer had always held high expectations, and Harry wasn't an exception to that fact. Sal, determined and strong willed, wanted Harry to know what life would be like for him once they went their separate ways, how his stance would affect those around him and their addled, hungry minds. The man was wise beyond his years and had quickly become the one person Harry most looked up to, the being he strove to make most proud.

And proud, Slytherin was. It was seen in the many accomplishments Harry achieved during his early years of adolescence, and how he held himself amongst the rest of the castles occupants. In fact, all of the founders were immensely proud of the person Harry was quickly shaping up to be, and they made sure that the boy knew it too. In every way they could.

Harry all but growled in frustration as he tightened his grip on his wand and dropped his arm to his side. The pitiful sparks of, what should have been, a bright and vivid Patronus hit the floor about a foot away, they bounced once... twice... before they fizzled out into nothing.

They'd been at this for days.

Draw in the calm, breathe, think a happy thought, cast.

It should have been simple! But Harry was struggling like never before and that little fact only proved to irk him all the more. He wasn't a stranger to the stress of learning problematic spells, but where they sometimes took a few hours, perhaps a day or two to finally cast, the Patronus was, well and truly, kicking his arse.

Godric, who was stood a way away, sighed to himself then moved to join a defeated looking Harry. The twelve year old merely lowered his head in shame, neck flushed with embarrassment.

"Now, now. None of that." Godric spoke up just as a strong, warm hand clasped Harry's right shoulder. He squeezed sympathetically. "You'll grasp it soon enough, of that I am sure."

Godric's words, although kind, in that moment felt condescending. So Harry worked his jaw, gritted his teeth, and swallowed so many razor-sharp words he felt sick.

He was still working to dampen the hotheadedness that had reared its angry head a little earlier that same year. 'Hormones' were what Helga liked to use as an excuse for whenever his fiery temper flared, but Salazar still would only smirk, raise a single brow at him and hiss, §That wild mane does not suit you, young Snakelet.§