Chapter 5

^Image of makeover outfit from Hades^

*Meanwhile on the other side of the Isle*

Mila's POV

The three of us had moved to the sparse living room. Hades had been answering my questions but there was still one question that weighed heavily on my mind. "Why didn't you and Mom stay together?" I asked.

I could tell I threw him off his game. He paused before answering. "We didn't want our enemies to find out about either of you... For the first several years of your lives, we met in secret. Then after your run-in with the Stabington brothers, the visits were deemed too risky. If your brother hadn't alerted me to your pain we might not have made it in time."

"What do you mean my brother alerted you? I was completely alone."

"From an early age you and your brother shared a connection, of a sort, if one of you was in pain then the other felt it. The more you visited each other the stronger the connection. Because you both have spent the last ten years apart, the connection is very weak."

I looked at Hunter. "So you were the boy from my dream?"

"What do you mean?" Hunter asked.

"I remembered a blue-eyed boy standing over me after the accident. I told Mom about it but she told me that I was delirious and that I made him up."

"We were both there," Dad said. "Hunter told me that he felt something. I contacted your mother and she said that you went for a walk. Magic works for us differently here due to the connection to the underworld. I used a simple tracking spell and that's when we found you. The Stabbington Brothers had you tied up and you had a pretty bad gash on your head. As soon as they saw me they fled. Afterward, I brought you home to your mother... None of that matters now. You've come home."

"Not exactly. I... I felt like someone was calling me. When Mom told me that I have a brother I thought maybe it was him but I'm not sure what to think now."

"Maybe this will help." Dad got up and walked over to a back room. When he came back he had a bright blue shirt, a black high-low skirt, and a black leather jacket. "Your aunt made this for your sixteenth birthday. But you left for Auradon before your mother and I had a chance to explain."

"It's beautiful," I whispered, reaching out to touch the fabric.

"Go try it on," Hunter encouraged.

I took the outfit from Dad and went into the back room and changed. The shirt ended right above my belly button but thankfully the jacket would cover everything. I put on the skirt and from the knees down it was sheer. I slipped my boots back on and braided the top part of my hair before tying it off with a ponytail holder. I grabbed my old outfit and walked out of the small room.

"What do you think?" I asked.

"Perfect," Dad said.

"Now, you're one of us," Hunter commented.

Dad offered me a room to spend the night but I told him that I needed something from home. He told Hunter to protect me and the two of us went to the tower. When we got to the run-down tower I felt an unusual presence. It felt good. I knew that Mom hadn't followed me here and she would be the only one who knew how to get in. Hunter pushed me behind him and he went in first.

The first thing I noticed was all the doors were open. The second was the small shuffling coming from my room. I slowly walked forward until I reached the threshold. I leaned my head against the doorframe when I saw the familiar mop of brown hair. "Didn't anyone ever tell you it isn't nice to snoop through other people's things?" I asked.

I could tell I scared Ben because he jumped when he turned around. "Mila?" he asked.

"What are you doing here, Ben?"

"We came to bring you home," Ben answered, walking towards me.

Hunter took a step forward and pushed me behind him. "Hunter, it's okay. This is my boyfriend," I said, moving around his big frame. "Go home Ben."

"Not without you. I'm sorry that I wasn't listening to you. I'm sorry I was so busy and missed some of our dates. I can make us a priority and focus on our relationship. I can pass some meetings off and we can spend more time together. Please just come home."

"Ben, I never minded the postponed dates or how little time we spent together alone. I understand that you have huge responsibilities that are going to take up your time. I also knew that it was temporary. Eventually we would graduate and we would have more time together. I came here to find out who I am. And I've learned so much already.

"I've met my brother and my dad. I know why we were separated at birth and I know why my mom has been sick all these years. But I still have so many questions left. I'm not leaving until they are answered."

"But, why did you leave without a word?" Eve asked. "Why didn't you tell us your plan?"

"Because it felt like none of you would understand. Everyone in Auradon has two loving parents. My family is separated because of enemies they made along the way. I needed to know and I couldn't do that from Auradon. I could only get answers here." Eve and Ben looked down. I didn't want them to feel bad but my reality is different from theirs. "Ben, can we talk? Alone." Eve nodded and left my room. Hunter was a different story. I had to practically shove him out of the room.

"What did you want to talk about?" Ben asked after we sat down on my creaky bed.

"I want to ask a favor of you. Will you help me get Mom home?"

"Why do you want her back here? Are you planning on staying?"

"No, nothing like that. I believe that her cure is on the Isle."

"What cure?"

"When me and my brother were born it took all of my mother's strength. She was carrying demigods. So she borrowed my father's strength to get through the pregnancy. But then they were separated after an unfortunate accident. Since my brother showed more signs of Hades' powers, Dad raised him and Mom raised me. But a piece of her has been missing and it's taking her life. I believe if we can reunite my parents, it will save her permanently."

"Okay, I think I get it. But what happens after, will you stay here or live in Auradon?"

I thought for a moment. "I'm not sure. I love living in Auradon with you and my friends but I don't know if I can leave my family behind again. I can't give you an answer about the future just yet."

"Okay. Then let's get your mother back here safely. And when she's better we can talk about the future."

"I'd love that."

Ben left the room and I scurried around my room looking for my mom's journal. Finally I found it buried under my bed. I quickly grabbed it and rushed out of my room. When I got to the living room, I found Eve and Ben gone.

"Where did Eve and Ben go?" I asked.

"Princy, said they were going to go find Jay, Carlos, and Evie to head back to Auradon," Hunter said. "Why? I thought you were staying here, with your family."

"I will for a bit but our family needs to be complete. I want to bring Mom back home so I need to go back to Auradon."

Hunter and I walked down the stairs and out of the tower. I searched up and down the alleyways hoping to see any sign of Ben but no such luck.

"Ben!" I called out. "BEN!"

The only response was a sinister laugh from a familiar Scottish voice.