Chapter 1

Mila's POV

The day started out like any other. I woke up and made my bed before getting dressed. I looked in my sparse closet before deciding to wear a pair of black, ripped, jeans, a maroon tank top with a maroon jacket. I threw on my black boots and I walked down the few stairs to the larger part of the tower to wake mother. I walked into her room to find her already awake.

"Morning mom," I said, sitting on her bed like I did as a child.

"Morning my little sun," she said putting on her signature red dress and brown belt. "What would you like from the market?"

"Whatever they have, I'm not picky."

"You must want something. After all, tomorrow is your birthday."

"Maybe some material to make a new dress or a new book."

"Anything you want. If there are leftovers, I'll bring you back a sweet or two from the shop."

"I'd like that." I followed Mom out of her room and into the tiny kitchen. We worked together in the kitchen preparing a small breakfast as well as lunch for later. Once that was done, Mom packed her basket and threw on her blue cape.

"You'll be back later right?" I asked as I handed her the basket full of food.

"Same time as always," Mom said as she climbed down the rope.

I walked over to my songbook and opened it to the second to last page. On that page were some lyrics to a song I had been trying to write.

"Here comes a wave meant to wash me away

A tide that is taking me under

Broken again, left with nothing to say

My voice drowned out in the thunder

But I can't cry

And I can't start to crumble

Whenever they try

To shut me or cut me down

I can't stay silent

Though they wanna keep me quiet

And I tremble when they try it

All I know is I won't go speechless"

Later that night Mom came back. I helped her inside and took the leftovers from her to heat them on the stove.

"Darling, there is news throughout the Isle. Prince Ben has made a royal proclamation... You are going to Auradon," Mom said.

I dropped the soup ladle on the floor in shock. "What?" I asked unable to speak.

"Five children have been chosen to go to Auradon and you are one of the five-"

"No. I won't do it."

"Sweetheart, this is an amazing opportunity for you. You get to leave this place-"

"I don't want to leave you."

Mom came over and wrapped her arms around me and held me as I cried. We stayed like that for what felt like hours, dinner laid forgotten beside us. Mom whispered encouraging words in my ears and my breathing returned to normal. I nodded my head and we resumed dinner, pretending that it was any other night. After dinner was over with Mom helped me pack my bags.

The following morning, a loud horn honked outside and we exited the tower. There was a sizable crowd surrounding us and I did my best to be brave. Mom gave me a big hug as the driver put my bags in the trunk. I whispered 'bye' and got in the back seat. Four other teens sat in the Limo staring at me.

"Hello," a girl with deep blue hair said. "I'm Evie, daughter of the Evil Queen."

"I'm Jay, son of Jafar," a boy with long black hair said.

"I'm Carlos, son of Cruella De Vil," a boy with spiky white and black hair said.

"I'm Mal, daughter of Maleficent," a girl with bright purple hair said. She was very intimidating and definitely the leader of their group.

"My name's Mila... Mila Gothel."

"I didn't know that Mother Gothel had a daughter," Carlos commented.

"Your outfit is absolutely amazing. Who designed it?" Evie asked.

"Um... I did?" I meant to say it as a statement but it came out as a question. I looked around the limo to find it covered in sweets. Jay and Carlos dug into it making a mess. I grabbed a piece of red squishy candy in the shape of a bear. It tasted like cherries. I grabbed a few more in a variety of colors and ate them. We neared the magic barrier and they huddled together not realizing that the barrier opened and a magic bridge appeared.