Chapter 5

Mila's POV

It was the day of the big Tourney game. Classes were on a reduced schedule leaving the better part of the afternoon dedicated to the game. There was an hour gap between the last class of the day and the start of the tailgating, whatever that means. Evelina promised me that she would help me get dressed up for the big game. We were walking past Ben and Mal who were talking by the lockers in the courtyard.

"Hey, Ben!" Evelina called. "Good luck tonight." She said after Ben looked over.

I met Ben's eyes when a small swirl of gold invaded his irises. His eyes went wide for a second and he opened his mouth but Evelina pulled me away to her room before he could say anything.

Third POV

Mal was eavesdropping on the conversation between Ben and Audrey. Audrey went off to her dress fitting and Mal stepped out from behind her locker door. "Hey Bennyboo," She said in a faux perky tone.

"Hey," Ben greeted.

"I just made a batch of cookies. Double Chocolate chip, do you want one?"

"Oh, I, uh, I've got a big game. I don't eat before a big game. But thank you so, so much. Thank you. Next time. Next time."

Ben started to walk away but Mal's voice brought him back. "No, yeah. I completely understand. 'Be careful of treats offered by kids of villains.'"

"No, no, no-" Ben tried to negate that statement.

"No, I'm sure every kid in Auradon knows that."

"No, that's not it. No, no, no, I... I really do..."

"No, I get it. You're cautious. That's smart. Oh, well, more for me, I guess."

Mal brought the cookie up to her lips but Ben ripped it from her hand and took a bite. "See that? Totally trust you," Ben said chewing the cookie.

"How are they?" Mal asked stalling for time so the spell could take effect.

"They're good. They're great! They're amazing! They're, uh... I mean, they're chewy and, and you know, they-"

"Hey, Ben!" Evelina called out from down the hall. Mila quietly walked next to her as the duo approached Ben. "Good luck tonight," Evelina said as they passed by.

Ben's eyes met Mila's at the exact moment the spell finished. Swirls of gold rounded the irises signaling the spell was complete. Ben's eyes widened and he went to talk to Mila but she was pulled away by Evelina.

"Ben?" Mal questioned.

"Hm?" He asked half-heartedly. "I've gotta go."

Mila's POV

Once we reached Evelina's room she started tearing through her closet. I had to duck a few times to avoid getting hit in the face by flying clothes. "Ah-ha!" She yelled, having found whatever she was looking for. "Try this on," she demanded. She shoved a black spaghetti strap shirt and maroon skirt in my hands before pushing me behind her dressing curtain. I laughed at her pushiness but complied none the less. I walked out behind the curtain and in front of her standing mirror. "It's so you," she said standing next to me in the mirror.

"Where did you even get this?" I asked, sitting at her vanity chair. She stood behind me messing with my hair.

"It was my aunt's idea. She said that I needed more color in my wardrobe so she got them for me. Don't get me wrong, they are super cute but I prefer the baby blue look you know."

"Baby blue makes your eyes pop."

"Thanks." She twirled my hair away from my face and pinned it to the back of my head.