𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 - I WANNA BE YOUR GIRLFRIEND

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ I WANNA BE YOUR GIRLFRIEND

IT WAS THE SUMMER OF '85. And Rosie Gry couldn't have been happier.

She had finished eighth grade at the top of her class and had raised over a thousand dollars for an animal rights charity in the very last month. Now, that the summer months had finally arrived, Rosie had been spending every second with Max Mayfield, her...whatever. They technically hadn't made it official. Even though they went to the arcade together practically every day (Max had been teaching her to play Dig Dug), kissed a bunch (not that Rosie was counting), and everyone in the party knew about them. The two had been beating the heat, by going out for ice cream as much as they could, effectively blowing all their pocket money in a couple of weeks, and by hitting the pool whenever Max's older brother, Billy, wasn't lifeguarding. Rosie would rather drown than get rescued by him. All of this to say, Rosie wanted to be dating Max. This was why Rosie had crafted a plan to finally ask the redhead to be her girlfriend. Finally.

And by plan, Rosie assumed she'd awkwardly stumble over her words until she finally got the proposition out.

It was a sweltering hot day, and Rosie and Max had found solace in the cooly air-conditioned arcade, one of the places that hadn't yet closed down due to the Starcourt problem.

Rosie aggressively shifted the joystick to the left, "Max, Max, Max, those stupid thingys are coming after me!"

"Jesus, angel, don't go left then!" Max responded, seemingly holding back a laugh as she placed a hand over Rosie's and moved the joystick to the right, "Also, they're called Pookas."

"Well that's a lame villain name," Rosie grumbled, eyes glued to the arcade screen in front of her, "Max, I love when we hold hands, but I'm trying to dig some dugs."

Max snorted, wrapping her arms around her waist, "You're adorable."

Rosie looked back at her, giving the redhead a big smile, "I know, right?" She took in Max's widened, blue eyes, and snapped back to the arcade game, screen flickering with a devastating scarlet red two words, 'GAME OVER', "Damn! Maaaaaax!"

"Hey, not my fault you took your attention away from...what'd you say? 'Digging dugs?'"

"Shut up," Rosie beamed, her grin greatly contradicting her words. She fully turned, grabbing a hold of one of Max's hands, "Hey, I have a question?"

"Yeah?"

Rosie opened her mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Maybe it was the nerves, or maybe because Max's eyes were so startlingly gorgeous that day they made her forget any sort of intelligent thought in her head. Even after all these months, Max still managed to have that effect on her. She was so lost in thought, she barely noticed seconds had slipped away and she still hadn't said anything.