Irreplaceable - Sun & Moon

TW: slight angst, brief mentions of death (ends in fluff!)
adult, gender-neutral reader
3626 words

- spending time with the new, child-friendlier version of your animatronic lovers makes you feel a lot more guilty than you thought possible. if only, you could bring your lovers back. oh wait, you can.

*(Y/N) - Your Name
He/They pronouns for Sun/Moon, He/Him for both Sun & Moon (Separated).

"(Y/N)~!" You turned around, a smile playing on your face. Just a single call of your name from your favourite animatronic was more than enough to lift your mood, especially on bad days. A sun-themed animatronic skips up to you, the permanent smile on her face appearing a little more sweetly than normal. "Hey! How are ya today?" She asked. Her voice is chipper and excited.

Your smile instantly dropped. You forgot that this was not your favourite animatronic. You pulled your smile back on quickly, in order not to disappoint the animatronic. "It's been good, Sunshine." You responded. She beamed at your response.

Your chest felt heavy as you watched her skip away from you to tend to the children exploring about in the Daycare. She joyfully picks a child up and snuggles them to her chest, the material of her dress making a comfortable cushion for a child to lie on. You studied the yellow bow that sat atop her head, right in front of her sun rays that gave her trademark look.

A silver-faced animatronic steps out of the nursery of the Daycare, adjusting the blue nightcap that sat atop her head. There was a ribbon on the center of the cap, a small yet silver moon charm sewn onto it. Similarly to Sunshine, she was wearing a dress. Unlike Sunshine's bright orange dress, hers was a dark navy blue, small crescents adorning the skirt. You watched as this animatronic bends down to pick up a yawning child. "Are you tired, little one?" She asks. The child nods, "Yes, Miss Moonshine. Can we take a nap?" Moonshine nods, immediately starting to hum a familiar lullaby tune as she walks towards the nursery, the child leaning gently on her shoulders.

Sunshine and Moonshine. The new replacements of the original Daycare Attendant.

Just the sight of the girls alone was enough to make you emotional. It was hard to be around the girls. They were indeed sweet and wonderful to be with, but how could you surround yourself with the carbon copies of the ones you were very well not finished grieving over? It just added salt to the bleeding wound.

Working as an animatronic developer in the Pizzaplex had it perks, especially when your favourite pair of animatronics has made their feelings known to you. But, you cannot help but miss them, especially after they were decommissioned. The day of their passing was hard, not only for yourself, but for the other animatronics. As eccentric as the original pair were, they were special. They were your first big project upon joining the Pizzaplex. You were there when they first opened their eyes to the unknown world before them, down to the day the light went out of their eyes.

They were your Sun and Moon. Your boys. Your lovers. Your everything.

You never wanted for them to be decommissioned. But, the glitches that were tainting Moon's systems were slowing bleeding into Sun's. Sun, slowly but surely, became violent and was hard to calm down. His panic attacks happened more frequently than it ever should, likewise with Moon's near-murder attempts at whoever turned off the lights.

You tried your hardest. You fought management, begged them to give you time to fix them. They agreed and gave you a few months. It was not enough. You needed more time, more materials, more anything! Anything not to lose them. You had put in so much effort for them, you could not just let it go to waste. The last night you were with them, you were reading through Moon's coding.