Searching for Keys, Part One

Blazerock Fortress, Vulcanus Citadel

“‘This seal was placed to contain the hordes of fierce monsters released by calamity. It must never be broken. For questions regarding this seal, contact the Seal Masters, listed below. Bardette City Office Manager, Ibert. Magmatite Research Site Chief Crisbergh. Blazerock Fortress Commander, Captain Milleus. Seldona Laboratory Overseer Lisette.”

Kirito sighs as Alice finishes reading the engraving beside the sealed door. “We’ll need to find these four people before we can open that gate. Some of the places they worked might still be around. We should see if we can find them.”

Jaymes opens his map. “We’ve been to Seldona and the research site, and we’re here at the fortress. So that’ll be easy for us to get to with quick travel.”

“We've been to Bardette City, right?"

“Yeah… Oh, I just got a message from Philia.” Kirito opens the message. “Oh, looks like she, Strea, Liz, Silica, and Sinon are coming.”

“Great,” Jaymes says. “Kirito, you and you three girls try to find the one here. Ko and I will take care of the other three with the others.”

Asuna nods. “Sounds like a plan. Let’s do it and meet back here ASAP.”

“Ugh…” Everyone’s attention turns to Premiere, who clutches her head.

“Premiere?”

“What’s wrong?”

She lets go of her head and looks to everyone like nothing had happened. “My apologies… I am fine. My HP was slightly depleted in battle.”

“Are you sure you’re okay,” Asuna questions. “ We could go back to town if you need to.”

“Thank you, but there is no need for concern. I am ‘hunky-dory.’”

“...Don’t look at me, Asuna, I’ve never said that before. That sounds more like Kirito.”

“I may have indeed said it.”

“Hmm… Okay, but let us know the minute you start feeling ill or anything.”

“I will.”

xxxxxxxx

Seldona Laboratory

Koharu keeps her eyes on the path towards the fortress as she and Jaymes return to the cemetery area of the Seldona Laboratory, searching for the lab’s overseer. They parted ways with Kirito, Asuna, Alice, and Premiere after Premiere’s mysterious headache, which weirded her out. “Hey, Jaymes?”

“Hm?”

“With all that happened… Do NPCs ever feel ill? Outside of story instances, that is?”

“Hmm… Well, I can’t say that they can or cannot become sick, but you do recall that negative emotions did affect Strea and Yui in SAO, right?”

“Right. What about Rei?”

“I don’t know if Rei will be affected to the length Premiere could be, since Origin’s AIs are made to react to player interaction. I think the MHCPs are similar, but Rei is...well, you might be right. I forget Lievre is different nowadays with Kureha as her master compared to when Subtilizer was her master.”