Dashing To The Mysterious NPC

The Blazing Corridor, Vulcanus Citadel

“It looks like this place got hit hard by the lava,” Kirito comments as the party of five exits the Blazerock Fortress. Like previous areas of the floor, the region is nothing but ruins, but no matter where they look, all they can see is lava.

“The players we talked to said not to get into the lava. The NPC is heading to the volcano, right.”

“We’ll have to reach that volcano if we want to find the NPC, but how do we cross this lava?”

“Looks like we’ll have to jump across like we did at the lake. We should try avoiding those fire lions as best we can too.”

“Klein, what would we do without you?”

“Thank you, Asuna, for--wait, what’s with that sarcastic tone?”

xxxxxxxx

Asham Extractor

After finding a way out of the lava field, Koharu and her party come into a new area with the usual broken, sooty footing. Happy to be on solid, safe ground, the five take a look around the place before Leafa recalls them. ‘Look at this monument and what it says.”

“‘Prototype Magmamite Extractors were tested in many places, but today we are proud to announce full-scale implementation. In celebration of this momentous event, we commission this monument: the Asham Extractor Memorial.’”

Extractors? Where has Koharu heard that term before? Right, with the first ghost. “When Jaymes and I met the researcher who developed the technology, he said something about those Extractors being dangerous if used too much.”

“Maybe they’re why the volcano erupted?”

Kirito shrugs. “A good hypothesis, Asuna. We should look around for more clues.”

“Oi, look at this.” Klein comes over with a piece of paper in his hands, giving it to Kirito.

“‘That thing appeared with the eruption. The Extractors got wrecked, and lava blocked the roads. But if we can activate the remaining Magmamite Extractors, it should quell the magma. I’ve looked into the matter. The following Extractors should still work: Asham Extractor: 1 unbroken. Kikoth Excavation: 1 prototype. Geogrand Deep Lake: 1 model.’”

Asuna sighs. “Looks like it didn’t take long for my thoughts to bear fruit. But it doesn’t seem the Extractors were the only cause, just the first step in a sequence of events.”

“‘That thing’... Obviously the Floor Boss, correct?”

“Yeah.” Kirito looks to his right, where on Koharu’s HUD, the notification that the quest log has been updated is present. “There’s nothing here on what happened to the survivors, but it looks like there is a way to suppress the lava. Let’s find and activate those Extractors.”

xxxxxxxx

A couple of hours later, the party of five succeeded in the quest to activate the three Extractors and rush across the cooled lava field of the Blazing Corridor towards the foot of the volcano. After syncing with the terminal in the Ashreal Inferno region, With no direct path to ascend, they have to climb and leap up the mountain until they come to a stone gate leading to the mountain's interior, the Acropovale Ruins.

Once inside, Asuna opens a voice channel to the group back at the Town of Beginnings for an update on Premiere. “Are you feeling alright, Premiere?”

“I’m not experiencing any problems. In other words, I am fine.”

“She’s fine, Mommy. It looks like whatever happened to Premiere doesn’t have any lingering side effects. It only affects her for that one instant it hits her. Then, as long as nothing strains her, she goes back to normal.”