Chapter Fifteen

I winced.

"Sorry!" Tammi winced along with me. "I'm trying my best honey!"

   I offered Tammi and her wild short curls a soft smile. Taking in a deep breath I sucked in my gut as she tried shoving me into the tiney tiny dres Pierre stitched up for me. Having my crew from the first day I arrived in the palace was a bit of a throwback but a welcome one. It felt so strange. June felt so long ago now that we were approaching Christmas.

   It was the King and Queen's anniversary tonight and I needed to look my best. We were first going to all make apperances on the Report and then they would film us for the rest of the night in the royal ballroom while we celebrated. Angelo circled me as he sprayed hair spray on my hair and Pierre was at my feet stitching up the hem of the dress.

"Ok!" Tammi beamed at me as she stood back to examing me. "You looking like a vision!"

   Every curve of my hourglass figure was tucked away into the fabric of the mermaid style sequin dress. The dress looking like sewn togehter strips of silk and white lace with glitter. Absolutely gorgeous with a plunging neckline. Good. This was war anyway.

Pierre stepped back and smiled his wide exotic European smile at me. "Gorgeous, my darling!"

I smiled at me and titled my head. I was wearing the bracelet Angelo gave me, like I always did, but I decided to take my locket off. And the ring Will gave me, the key to the music box I threw out the window.

Did I mention I threw it out the window?

   After stomping off yesterday Will followed me to my bedroom where I made a grand display of braking the music box on the floor, flinging it out my window, then throwing him out of my bedroom. I had to admit I got a little too brave for nothing but I was just so aggitated by him. It was everything i had built up inside from all those months that I felt come to the surface.

Angelo smiled at me too, and he took my face in his hands. "Bellisima princessa."

  I rolled my eyes playfully and made my way to the mirror. It was gorgeous. I turned around when I caught a glimped of the open bag. They were my signature but now it was just the most horrifying thing in the world. Horrible scars, like enormous dark gashes, went across my skin and I nearly collapsed to my knees.

   My wobbly hand moved to cover my mouth and tears started to pool in my eyes. Is that why they didn't cane my hands? But my back instead? Because they knew that I loved to wear open back dresses? It was the only thing in the world that made me feel beautiful and they had taken that away from me.

   Even after I thought I lost everything I just kept losing things.

"Ohh!" Tammi rushed over to me. "I'm soooo sorry! It completely slipped my mind! The zipper is on the side, I didn't even see-!"

I shook my head and reached for my notepad.

No, no, it's fine-

Pierre took the notepad from me. "Oh honey, we'll get you a different dress. An even more beautiful one."

My bottom lip wobbled and i nodded my head.

"Come," Angelo took my face in his hands. They were warm and he brought a handkercheif to my cheeks. "Don't ruin your make up, darling. We can fix this."

  I sniffled and his heavy Italian accent made me want to laugh. I nodded and made my way towards the makeup table while Tammi pulled down the zipper of the dress. She helped me slip out of it and Pierre wrapped my robe around me.

  I sat in front of the mirror wiping my cheeks and my tears and my makeup came off on my hands. Tammi and Pierre ran around the room behind me pulling out different boxes of shoes and Pierre different bags of dresses.

  Angelo went into his makeup box and went back to work on my face.

I never felt so hideous and monsterous before in my entire life.