Chapter Eighteen

"Ahhhhhhhhh."

Doctor Schwartz stuck a Popsicle stick down my throat and flashed his little light. I swung my legs off the side of the examination table and waited for the okay to close my mouth. The doctor nodded and he stepped back to write something on his notepad.

Tiny was squeezing my hand and Krystal was standing next to the doctor craning her head so she could see what he was writing. When he saw this he frowned and pulled his clip board away. Ora chuckled.

"Well, Lady Alessandra I deem it safe for you to speak now."

The girls squealed and Ora and I smiled at each other.

"But!" Dr. Schwartz held up a finger.

Ora rolled her eyes impatiently. "Are you serious? There's a but?"

I turned to the doctor and he nodded. "You may not be able to sing again."

Tiny and Krystal looked at each other I felt the blood drain from my face. Ora looked like she was ready to punch Dr. Schwartz in the face.

"What do you mean she can't sing?" Ora asked carefully.

"She injured her larynx severely," Dr. Schwartz explained. "She needs to talk so she can exercise her vocal chords. Singing however could cause too much of a strain and she risks not talking again ever."

Ora stepped forward and the doctor flinched. I grabbed her wrist and glared at her.

"Can she talk now?" Krystal asked.

Dr. Schwartz cleared his throat and nodded. He seemed to have been recovering from his near death experience with Ora. "Let's try it. Ready? The alphabet."

I drew in a deep breath and started. "A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L"

I stopped when I realized how raspy my voice was sounding. i looked to Dr. Schwartz for an explanation and he waved his hand so that I would continue.

"M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z." I bit my lip.

Dr. Schwartz wrote something down and adjusted his glasses. "Well it's only normal for you to sound a bit raspy but as you noticed as you continued the alphabet your voice was adjusting. Try to talk as much as you can today but not too much and try not to yell. Stick to whispering."

"Alright." I told him and it felt so good to speak. No matter how foreign my own voice sounded.

"But remember," he said. "No singing."

I sighed. "No singing."

"Would you like to try the scale?" he asked me.

It was worth a shot so i figured why not. "Do, Re Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti-!"

My voice cracked and it sounded like a horrible shriek that burned my throat. Instantly i panicked and my hands went to my throat. Krystal frowned and Tiny squeezed my hand.

"No singing." the doctor told me.

I looked down at my hands. "No singing."