March 10, 2007

Elise held a newborn girl as Elliot sat on the side of her bed.

She glanced up at her husband. "Sasha Elise?"

He nodded and a teasing smile crossed his face. "You just had to name her after you."

"It is a family name."

"And we both know those should be passed down if possible."

Elise frowned. "Elliot, something's wrong. Take Sasha."

He took his daughter, gently cradling her head. "What is it?"

She didn't get a chance to answer. The monitors began beeping and doctors and nurses rushed into the room.

Elliot was pushed back and he watched in terror as he stared at his wife who had been fine and suddenly wasn't.

"What's happening?" he asked, getting no answer.

In a louder tone, he yelled, "Someone tell me what's happening!"

A nurse walked up to him and said, "There were unforeseen complications with the delivery. Usually with this sort of thing, it's only a matter of time before the mother dies. It's best to say your goodbyes now."

"No. You're going to save her. That's your job. Save my wife!"

The doctor turned to Elliot and shook his head. "I'm sorry. We can't, Mr. Barton."

Elliot pursed his lips and walked up to his wife. He stroked her cheek and said softly, "If I do have to lose you, I promise to raise Sasha to be the best she can be. But I need you to fight, honey. I can't lose you and Sasha needs her mother."

But due to the complications, Elise wasn't strong enough to keep fighting. She'd already lost too much blood.

The monitor flat lined and a steady, haunting alarm filled the air.

Elliot kissed his wife as a tear fell down his cheek. "Goodbye, my love."

He left the room, holding a sleeping Sasha and dialed a number.

"Hey, man," a voice on the other line said.

It took all the strength Elliot had to keep from breaking down. "Hey, Clint."

Clint instantly caught onto the tone. "What happened?"

"She's gone. Elise is gone."

"Oh, God. I'm so sorry. How's the baby?"

"Sasha's okay. But her mother, my Elise-" His voice caught and fresh tears fell down his cheeks.

"Come on over to the farm. Laura and I'll help for as long as you need."

"I can't ask you to do that."

"I'm offering. Don't be stubborn and turn it down. You know how Laura gets."

He laughed softly. "Yeah, I do. Thank you. For everything."

"No thanks necessary. Just get your ass and that little girl's here as soon as possible."

"Will do."

The call ended and Elliot signed as he looked at his infant daughter. "I guess we're going to stay with Uncle Clint and Aunt Laura for awhile."

He grabbed his stuff and stared at his wife for a moment before walking away.