"Pilot"; pt.4

"We were supposed to be lying low. This was not lying low."

This was what I was looking forward to. This was the summer I had in mind when I thought of spending it in the Outer Banks. Chilling on the beach surrounded by my friends just smiling, laughing, drinking and not giving a single care.

And especially not having to worry about the impending threat of the foster-care system. Not having to worry about Scooter Grubbs, the money, the boat, or that stupid gun that JJ decided to keep.

Or JJ.

I had to get my mind off of things. "You got this?" I asked the nearest person I recognized, who was handing out beers and mocking the poor tourists. I couldn't even remember his name but I didn't care at this point.

"All good," he answered.

I wandered over to my cousin who was staring into space.

"What is she doing here?" So that's what John B was looking at.

Sarah Cameron. Kie's best friend in the ninth grade and worst enemy in the tenth. Personally, I still don't know what happened between them. But after my Kook connection disappeared I just stopped talking to her and she stopped talking to me. Especially since I now work for the Cameron's occasionally, as opposed to being their esteemed guest.

Kiara gave them a dirty look and walked away. I followed John B's gaze and watched as Sarah, very carelessly, hung off an old lifeguard chair. Though it was funny to watch Topper desperately fail to get her down, I wanted to have fun tonight.

After one last look at my cousin, I simply said, "you're drooling." and pivoted to walk away.

I was dancing near the fire pit, drinking and completely ignoring everything around me. That is until I felt a body behind mine. 

"May I have this dance?" JJ whispered into my ear, sending chills down my spine. 

I just drank from the cup and said nothing, still dancing. Taking that as a yes, JJ danced behind me, hands on my hips, eventually spinning me around to face him, he wrapped his arm around my waist, running his hands up and down my body. This wasn't unusual for JJ, he was handsy with everyone, and I just wanted to have fun so I threw my hands in the air and over his shoulders and let the music do the rest. I was smiling and laughing with JJ as we danced and drank endlessly. Every now and again I'd open my eyes to see JJ already staring down at me, which made me blush outrageously but was too dazed from JJ's alcohol mixtures to care. So I just kept spinning and swaying and moving my hands up his neck and across his shoulders to the rhythm of the seemingly endless music. 

This is what I loved about the boneyard. 

I opened my eyes once more and again, caught JJ already staring, "what mixture do you have next?" 

He grinned wickedly, "so glad you asked." 

He took my hand and pulled me in the direction of many bottles of alcohol. All I could do was laugh and follow. He quickly mixed what was left in the bottles he had found like he knew exactly what he was doing. When he was done he took a sip and smiled at his work then handed me the cup. 

I looked at the contents, having no clue what he had just mixed but took a sip anyway. The mixture burned my throat as I swallowed but made everything in my body tingle. 

"What is in this?" I said, going for another sip, 

"Good shit," He laughed and reached his hand out for the cup, which I gave him and he took another sip.