~my crew~

In spite of everything, I loved living in the Outer Banks. So maybe it wasn't 'Paradise on Earth' but it was the only place I'd ever been that made me feel like I was home. And it has been my home for about a year and a half now.

But, I haven't always felt at home. I used to live in this big house on figure eight. And even though I thought it was a bit much for just my family, I was happy because most of the time I just stayed with my cousin. Oh yeah, Outer Banks was also the only place that I knew of where I had family, like a real family and just so happened to be the place where I met my new family. My crew of 'troublemaking', 'no good', 'bad influence' friends. Also known as The Pogues.

When I wasn't with my parents, golfing, country-clubbing whatever, I was with the Pogues. First, there was John B. My cousin, on my dad's side, who I apparently wasn't supposed to know about. But since I met him, we could barely be separated. He was like the older brother I never had. Next, Kiara or Kie. She was the first person I met in Outerbanks that I truly enjoyed the company of. Her parents are on the rich side too, they own this big tourist spot, The Wreck, she is always working and I work there too. Between her environmental activism and hanging with us, I don't know how she gets anything done. Then, we have Pope, definitely the smartest person I know. He's for sure a weirdo but I love him. And his dad, Heyward, could get you anything on the island, if you wanted it, he'd get it. Pope's also a finalist for the Lucas T. Vanderhorst Merit Scholarship, I was too, until I dropped it muc hto my parents distane. And finally, JJ. When I first met him I thought he was just another local coming from a long line of fishing, drinking, smuggling, vendetta-holding salt-lifers who made their living off the water. And after getting to know him, I was right but he has been my cousin's friend for way longer than any of the others so I grew to like him. Besides how bad could a person be when they'll do anything for their friends.

So, that's my crew.

And I guess I should introduce myself, huh? Well, my name is Aubrey Elaina Routledge, but everyone calls me Bria or just B. I have been living with John B in this old fish shack off the marsh, the chateau we liked to call it. I was living there with him and my uncle John full time after my parents left the outer banks two-summers ago. But my uncle disappeared at sea nine months ago looking for some shipwreck. So, my cousin has been under the guardianship of our only, known and shared, relative Uncle T. Though last I heard he was building houses in Mississippi. I'm only still here because I promised my parents I'd stay in line. Which means it's just me, my cousin, and my friends hanging out, living the "Pogue Life." Downside of pogue life is we're ignored and neglected. But the upside of pogue life? We're ignored and neglected, which means we do whatever we want, whenever we want. And that's my life, until now.