Chapter 21: an apology

Chapter written by iikxtezz
_________________________________________
Clay POV

I smiled, but it quickly dropped when I saw his eyebrows scrunch together with anger and confusion, “What are you doing here?”
My smile quickly fades at his reaction, “What do you mean,” I ask, but slowly started to smile again, “You know that I can’t stay away for that long.” I joked.

I immediately stopped when I saw the disgusted expression written all over his face. He slammed the door shut and my jaw dropped, this wasn’t going the way I thought- no, hoped it would. I dropped the bag with his gifts in it and rapidly knocked on the door. “George please, let me explain. I’m sorry, please open the door.” I nearly begged.

“Go away.” I heard him mumble from the other side of the door. I fell silent for a second, I heard him speak up again, but he didn’t exactly mumble. “GO AWAY.” He screamed. It wasn’t exactly a mad scream though, more of a muffled sob-scream.

My observation was correct because I heard sobbing from the other side of the door. His wails sounded so broken, it made my heart shatter into a million pieces. With small tears running down my cheeks I knocked very softly. “George?” I croaked out. I used my sleeve to wipe off my tears and straightened myself back up.

After a moment the door slightly creaked open, George shyly hid behind it, “What do you want, Clay.” He said quietly but sharply.
I gulped, “I came here to apologize for the… lie detector incident, please open the door all the way, I want to see you.” I said, looking longingly at the small crack in the door George was peering out of.

The door slowly creaked open and I saw George. His cheeks were red and tear stained, his hair was ruffled up, and his eyes were glossy. You could easily tell that he was crying. My gaze softened, “George, please let me explain why I’m here, I’m so sorry.” I said, voice cracking in the process.

George wearily examined me for a moment before nodding and allowing me to enter his dorm room. I grabbed the bag and walked through. I set it down by the coat hanger and ran a hand through my hair.

We stood facing each other awkwardly, “I’m sorry,” I said, directing my gaze to the ground, “I never meant to hurt you.”
“Well that didn’t work out too well.” George said, scoffing. “Can I at least explain myself?” I asked, looking back up at George. He half-heartedly shrugged and replied with a, ‘Sure’.

He motioned me over to the couch and I hesitantly sat down. “Start from the beginning,” George instructed, “I have all day.”
I sighed and began my story, “When Alex asked what your parents did for a living and you switched the topic, I thought that it was a bit strange but I brushed it off.”

I took another breath, “When you started to describe your old school… that’s whenever I really started to think that something was up, my- our friends agreed.” I admitted, looking away. I glanced at George, his eyes begged me to continue.

“We started talking about the things that you could do to us whenever you answered the door, like killing us… robbing, you know, the basics.” My cheeks flushed red, this story was embarrassing to tell now that I knew what George actually went through.

“We concluded that you were part of some European mafia and whenever you kind of got aggressive, I didn’t think before I spoke and called the guards. We took you to some sort of prison-type thing in my company and held you there until I decided to bring you up and ask you some questions.” I said.

I relaxed onto the couch, trying to slow my racing heartbeat. He still sat silently and urged me to continue.  I closed my eyes, this was almost painful. “I wanted to do a lie detector on you, so I asked the questions I originally wanted to ask. Eventually I realized how much power I had at the moment so I got a bit carried away with the lie detector.”

George scoffed when I said that I got a bit carried away, but allowed me to continue.
“I felt really bad,” I admitted, “So I went to the store and bought you a couple gifts, I hope that you will accept my apology.” I motioned over to the giant plastic bag and fidgeted with the box in my pocket.

George studied me with a soft expression, “Clay… you didn’t have to buy me gifts.” George said.
“Well- I just wanted to say that I was sorry because I truly am and-“ George cut off my ranting by giving me a warm hug, “Clay… stop. All I ever wanted was an apology.” He said.

I looked at him, my face burning, he was really REALLY close to me. “I kind of already bought the gifts so… and I hoped that you would like them?” I said hopefully, grinning at the brunet boy in my arms.
He sighed, I could tell that he was annoyed that I spent money on him, even though he knows that I have more than enough, “Fine… bring the bag here.”

I jumped up in happiness, and went to grab the bag. I picked it up, wincing when I realized how heavy it was when it wasn’t over my shoulder. I brought it over to George and set it down proudly. He eyed the bag in suspicion, “What’s in there.” He asked. I smirked mischievously, “If I were to tell you, it wouldn’t be much of a surprise anymore now would it?”

He rolled his eyes and took the first gift out of the bag. I honestly couldn’t remember which clothing item was in each wrapping paper, so this was as much of a surprise for him as it was for me.

As he opened each gift, he smiled. I could tell that he really liked his gifts. Soon enough all of the bags were open and there was one left. “Clay, I’m gonna go try on some of the clothes now okay?” George declared.
“Wait, I have one last gift for you.” I said, smiling sheepishly.

George looked at me curiously as I pulled the small box out of my pocket. I saw fear flash across his face for a split second and he leaned back. “No, George, I’m not proposing, relax.” I said. He visibly relaxed but I saw that he still looked wearily at the box.

“I decided that the clothes weren’t enough for an apology so I got you this, open it.” I said, gingerly handing George the small, wrapped box.
He slowly took off the wrapping paper and opened the box. He gasped when he saw the beautiful necklace inside.

I smiled brightly, “Clay… it’s so beautiful, I can’t possibly take this. You don’t need to spend this type of money on me.” George said, jaw dropped.
I snorted and rolled my eyes, “I’m a billionaire, George, it won’t affect me in the slightest, not even a dent. Plus this is also my real apology present, those clothes were just extra.” I smirked.

He eyed me, “Are you sure…?” He asked doubtfully. I nodded, “Positive.” I responded confidently. He slowly took the beautiful necklace out of the box and put it around his neck. He beamed at me and jumped onto me, wrapping his arms around my neck, pulling me into a giant hug.

“Thank you so much, Clay.” He said. I hugged him back, “Wanna do something?” I asked.
“Like what?” The Brit questioned giving me an adorable puzzling expression.
I smiled softly, “Anything you want.”
_________________________________________
1298 words

I'd just like to repeat that this is written by iikxtezz and if you enjoyed it you should check out her other stories