Chapter Five

"LEX, ARE YOU OKAY?!" Lars hurriedly tried to climb down the ladder. "Lars... don't come down... there's a..." We could hear Lex's faint voice as it slowly drifted away.

Silence.

"LEX?!"

Lars was crying. Everyone was in a panic. No one knew what to do. I hugged Lars tightly. Rocky and Niuniu volenteered to go down the ladder to see what happened. "But what if something happens to you?" I asked. "Don't worry, we are boys, we take care of ourselves. Unlike some girls." Rocky looked directly into my eyes. Wow. He can be so annoying, even when it's an emergency. I rolled my eyes for the second time today and said: "Well, just hurry up and make sure you and Niuniu are ok, because I don't want any of you to get hurt." "Bye then!" Niuniu said as he followed Rocky down the ladder. 

It was dark.

Since Lex took the broken torch when he went to investigate, the boys didnt have any light to guide them. 

"AHHH!!"

Oh no.

"Niuniu, are you ok?" Rocky called. "Yup, but I think I tripped over something..." Niuniu responded.

Shuffles.

"Oh, it's the broken torch!" Niuniu said happily. "Now we have a light!" We could hear flicking noises as he tried to turn it on, but it didn't work, because it was still dark.

"Here, let Jules and a boy go to the house to get a new torch, or a phone so we can see where we are going." Kate yelled. "Okay." Both boys replied in unison. They climbed back up, seeing it was hopeless to find anything in the dark. "Me and a boy? Who said I needed a boy? I can go by myself perfectly fine!" I pointed out.

It started to rain outside. We could all here the pitter patter of the raindrops falling on the metal roof. Then, it began to rain harder. The rain was pounding on the roof, getting louder and louder.

Kate shook her head and said firmly: "Jules, you think we would allow you to go out, into the night at 10:15 pm, ALONE?! Plus, it's raining! Are you crazy or what? I am not having my best friend get hurt, so you've got a choice. Either you go with a boy, or we stay here for the rest of the night and NOT FIND LEX." I knew Lars would be so upset and sad, so I agreed. "Ethan, you're going with Jules." Kate instructed. "NO. WAY." Ethan and I both said, looking mad. "Miss girl?! You KNOW how much I hate Ethan. He's so annoying!! Definitely NOT." I exclaimed. "Please don't make me go with this idiot! She's so annoying!" Ethan protested. "Who are you calling idiot?!" I scowled angrily. "Fine then. You go with Xander." Kate sighed. "Sure. He's better than that MORON over there." I shot a glare at Ethan. He rolled his eyes. "C'mon then, Jules, let's go." Xander called to me, halfway down the ladder. 

I clutched the house keys that were kept in my pocket, took a deep breath, and followed him down.