Prologue

A few months prior to college graduation, my oldest dream came true. Eiko, (my childhood friend Aerina's mom) and I dated for a short time. Aerina herself had feelings for me and I was too naive to see it. So when I started dating her mom it put a wedge in our friendship. I was afraid to face the facts and tried to run. I came to terms with what needed to be done and broke things off with Eiko and tried to salvage my friendship with Aerina. Kayle, a friend I've had since our junior year of high school also liked me and had a hidden dark secret which I found out about after being jumped by drunkards.

Kayle has a rare gene that caused her to turn into a vampire. The trigger happened the moment she fell in love with me. The change generally doesn't happen all at once, it slowly happens. In Kayle's case, her change was forced when I was hurt. Like most things, I was oblivious of the changes that were happening. It has been three years since I graduated from college. Kayle and I have been together since then. Not to make fun of her or anything, but trying to kiss her when her fangs are out is a pain. Trying not to piss her off and getting turned into a snack is another thing entirely.

She has managed to control her vampiric side to a point. Her eyes don't stay the ruby red color as they did at first. For the first year she had to wear contacts anytime she went out in public, but her fangs made it a little more difficult. A year after that, she had managed to control that as well. Now she looks and acts just like she did when I first met her, the only difference between then and now is I know what she is.

Her eyes change color, and her fangs come out when she gets overly excited or when she needs to feed. The good thing is, she's able to eat normal food as well as drink blood. So her diet doesn't cause trouble. Marko, a good friend, and Kayle's employer, was the same as her until the person he loved suddenly died. So now he's neither a human nor a vampire. Nora, another friend of ours has known their history and is in charge of keeping their existence quiet.

Aerina and I have kept in contact after she moved shortly after graduation. To respect Kayle, I avoid asking how her mom is doing. From what I heard, a year and a half ago she decided to resume teaching at the college again and that she had found someone she had an interest in. I was happy to hear she managed to move on, just like I had to, for Kayle's sake and my own. Now that things have settled down and Kayle and I are stable, we have discussed what we should do next.

Some would think dating a vampire is insane, let alone wanting to get married to one, but I had decided two years ago that is exactly what I wanted. I had kept that a secret from her so when I knew it was the right time I could ask.