Chapter VII: Blood Moon & Beginning Signs

A week has passed since Jerick and Kayle's house was set ablaze and they have moved to the wooden cottage in the mountains. The female wolf that was stationed there came to the cottage so she could eat and bathe. Everyone has stayed alert and on watch. Kayle had been sleeping later than normal, so Jerick, Nora, and Marko have been keeping a close eye on her. Kayle's appetite has stayed relatively the same but once in a while she suddenly craves raw meat. With Marko being a doctor, he examines Kayle's condition to the best of his abilities.

The three wolves have been rotated on who goes to see Elizabeth to give her an update on their current situation. Changing the times of the day or night makes it harder for anyone to track them. Plus, they never took the same route twice. Within the week, Jerick has taken time to learn breathing exercises to help himself control his transformation from human to wolf and back again. He also had help from the other three wolves on how to hunt large game without leaving a trail.

Cottage

"Jerick, are you done for the night?" Asks Kayle as she sits on the steps.

"Yeah. Is there something you needed?" Replies Jerick as he sits next to her.

"No. I'm glad to see you putting in the effort to help yourself and me." States Kayle as she leans her head on his shoulder.

Jerick looks over the top of the trees and says "The moon is so beautiful. It's close to the same color as your eyes."

Following Jerick's gaze, Kayle sees the blood moon as it slowly comes into view from behind the clouds and says "You're right, it is beautiful."

"Jerick, we have company." States the male wolf.

Tensing up, Jerick asks "Are they friendly?"

"I can't tell. They gave no warning on their approach." Replies the male wolf. "Kayle, I need you to go inside." States Jerick as he stands up.

With fear in her eyes, Kayle asks "Jerick?"

"Please Kayle? I need you to trust me." Replies Jerick.

"Alright, I will. Just don't do anything reckless okay?" Asks Kayle as she follows the male wolf inside.

"I'll try." Mutters Jerick.

As Jerick walks further out in the yard heavy paws could be heard coming from the woods to the east. Jerick lets out a warning howl to let the trespassers know that he's aware of their arrival. The sound of the paws comes to a light trot until a silver-colored wolf appears at the edge of the woods with a smaller grey-colored one appearing next to it. Jerick turns in their direction and asks "Who are you and what are you doing here?"

With a heavy huff, the small grey-colored wolf changes into its human form and says "We're here on orders from the head council to bring you in alive."

"And if I refuse?" Asks Jerick.

"Then we'll bring you in by force." Replies the once silver-colored wolf.

"So, you're collaborating with the vampire head council. I shouldn't have been too surprised." Interjects Marko as he heads down the stairs.

"So it is true that you are behind some of this then." States the teen.

"My reputation precedes me." Replies Marko.

"Step aside outcast, this has nothing to do with you." Growls the teen.

"Tell me, why is it that a nobleman and a royal guard are here for him?" Asks Marko. With one shifting back into wolf form, the other asks again "Step aside outcast."