Chapter V: Responsibility & Resolve

Cafe

"The two of you are going to do what?!" Shouts Marko and Nora.

"We're still going to get married." Replies Kayle.

"Are the two of you nuts?" Asks Nora.

"I'm prepared to face this, and so is Kayle." Replies Jerick.

"Marko, are you going to say anything?" Snaps Nora.

"What difference would it make? They're dead set on doing it, so what right do I have to refuse to help?" Replies Marko.

"You know as well as I do that they will get hunted down and killed for doing this." States Nora.

"I'm aware." Replies Marko.

"Even my sister is going to help." States Jerick.

"Now that's unheard of on all fronts. A noble female alpha helping commit a taboo, what the hell is going on?" Screachs Nora as she paces back and forth.

"What's this about a taboo and female alpha's?" Asks a far too familiar voice.

Jerick stops mid-stride and whispers "Aerina?"

Nora yelps "Aerina?"

Letting go of her cup, Kayle whispers "What are you doing here?"

Keeping his composer, Marko says "Welcome back."

Looking at everyone's expressions, Aerina asks "What's with the doom and gloom looks?"

"If we told you, we'd have to kill you." Replies Jerick.

"I know you like to kid around, but that's a little overboard, don't you think?" Asks Aerina.

"Sadly Aerina, this time I'm being dead serious." Replies Jerick.

"I guess I showed up at the wrong time, sorry." States Aerina as she turns around to leave.

"You can stay Aerina, but we can't tell you what's going on. Do you understand?" Replies Kayle.

"I can tell I'm not wanted here, so I'll just leave." States Aerina as she opens the door.

Without meaning to, Jerick lets out a rumbling growl that shakes the glass panels on the door.

Freezing in place, Aerina asks "Was that a very large wolf growling, or was that one of you?"

The room stays silent and Aerina closes the door. Still not wanting to turn around, she asks again "Was that a wolf or one of you?"

Kayle begins to say "I can...!"

Turning to face Kayle, Aerina sees something out of the corner of her eye and asks "Jerick, What the hell is wrong with your hand?"

Looking at his hand, Jerick notices it was starting to change into a paw and says "What we're about to tell you stays inside this building."

In shock, Aerina nods her head and sits down. Marko and Nora step into the back room as Jerick and Kayle tell Aerina as much as they are both able to. When they finish, Aerina is as pale as a sheet.

Aerina asks with a trembling voice "So, you're telling me the two of you aren't humans, and the person I was in love with for so long is now going to wage a war between these two races?"

"Not just him, but me as well." Replies Kayle.

"I see. Can I ask one thing from each of you?" Asks Aerina hesitantly.

"What is it?" Replies Jerick and Kayle.

"Kayle, can you show me what you really are, please?" Asks Aerina.